Second fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Math0

Reaction score
I just did a cream ale at about 4.4%. Its been transfered to secondary for about 1 week now. Problem is: I was looking to get closer to 5%, maybe even higher if I can (yes I like stronger beers).

Is it possible to just add more sugars to the batch and leave it to sit there? Will a second fermentation affect the final taste, if so, how?

What was your OG and FG? Generally you don't need to transfer to a secondary fermenter because these days it's better to leave it on the yeast. However, you are probably fine. You should just leave the beer as is and don't worry that it's a bit shy of you intended alcohol level. Adding more sugars and such could change the character of you beer and it's better not to do it. Just learn from this beer and change things around next time. Also, if you like stronger beers maybe don't so a cream ale as those aren't usually that alcoholic.

Leave it as is and learn from your experience. What did the recipe call for? 5%...you should have adjusted recipe if you wanted stronger beer. You will most likely have a great sessional beer. Enjoy.

My OG and FG were 1.046 and 1.014-1.013 ishh. I did put a bit more fermentable sugars into it (300g) but I was expecting a higher ABV than that! FG is great, I just need to get that OG up next time. Recipe was at 4%. Guess I didnt do my homework well lol

I like stronGer beers. Not like 7-10%. But a nice 5.5% for a pale ale or lager is delicious.

Is this extract or AG? What was the recipe's stated OG? Did you verify Final Gravity prior to racking to secondary? If you move the beer too soon you risk a lower attenuation of the yeast since you took it off the main cake but there are other variables as well that may become apparent when you reply to the first questions.

To achieve your higher abv from the outset, you have two choices:
1.) Higher attenuation- this would have involved mashing at a lower temp (assuming you mash) so that the FG was lower, say 1.008. Or if doing extract, adding a higher proportion of fully fermentable sugar
2.) start with a higher OG, say 1.052 if you wanted to finish at 1.013. This can be done by starting with more grain in your grain bill and mashing at a higher temp.

The lower the FG the dryer and lighter bodied the finished product will be.
In pale ales and IPA's I generally want them to finish med/dry, so say around 1.010.

Back