Control box almost done!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJoyce85

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Been brewing for about2 years but this is my first post.

Building a RIMS tube control box (heavy influence from Kal at The Electric Brewery) and it is almost finished. I will hopefully brew my first beer through it next weekend.

I wanted to test everything before wiring the meters and that is what you all are seeing.

Just wanted to get some feed back.

Thanks and cheers!

image-3906639183.jpg

My feedback is why would you go through all that trouble and not have the meters wired in? Sorry been drinking Broncos lost.

mateomtb said:
My feedback is why would you go through all that trouble and not have the meters wired in? Sorry been drinking Broncos lost.

I just wanted to make sure everything else was working first.

And of course, I wire the ammeter and it trips the fuse. I couldn't figure it out. As soon as a remove the connections to the shunt, the box and meter turn on but the meter reads random numbers because it has nothing to measure. Any ideas?

Easiest way to troubleshoot it is to show everyone your wiring diagram and photos of inside the box. It's usually simple mistakes. You stare at something for so long you start to miss the obvious.

It is almost exactly like Kal's from The Electric Brewery.

Here is what I know so far. When I disconnect the signal wires from the shunt, everything turns on but I get a crazy reading on the meter. When I disconnect the signal wires from the harness but reattach the wires to the shunt, everything turns on, indicating to me there is not a short anywhere in the system and it must be the meter. And when I have only power running to the meter, I get a proper amp reading. As I flip switches, the reading goes up and as I shut them off, it goes back down. I haven't tested with a multimeter yet (it's late here) but from what I have read, the readings are in the range of normal. Now, where are the readings coming from?

Back