Wheat Beer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HandyBrewer

Reaction score
I'm not really concerned, because I'm adding raspberry flavoring, and the beer doesn't taste...bad...but it is just a general question I have...

What is your experience with wheat beers before adding flavoring? Does anyone like the flavor of unflavored, un-spiced wheat beers?

Like I said, I'm not concerned, but I think this would be a good thread for someone making a wheat beer for the first time (just like me) to get an understanding about what a wheat beer would taste like without any added flavoring.

I look forward to hearing your responses and getting some insight from more experienced brewers, and even inexperienced that have made a wheat that turned out well.

Thanks!

There's different kinds of wheat beers. I suspect you're talking about a basic American Wheat - I've made some that I enjoy. Light and refreshing. I've also made a hoppier version, with 50% wheat, 50% two row and some nice citrusy American hops, kind of an APA with wheat.

The hoppier version you speak of is a lot like the batch I brewed, and am referencing in the original post.

It is new to me to have a wheat beer with no additional spices or flavors added.

I think the beer will completely change with the addition of the raspberry extract.

Thanks for the reply!

I personally love a good wheat beer without added flavorings or spices. Having lived in southern Germany, wheat beer is all over and I haven't found one I didn't like. Personal favorite is the Dunkel Hefe Weizen. I have made feeble attempts at brewing German style wheat beer with disappointing results. My home brewed wheat beer was good and I enjoyed them but they were not what I was hoping for. In Germany, the yeasts they use and their decoction methods produce a beer style that is hard to duplicate in the home brewery.

As far as describing what a wheat beer would taste like? I do not believe I could accurately describe it. Its a different style that not everyone can appreciate.

One thing to keep in mind is wheat beers are typically best right after they are bottle conditioned and ready to drink, or after 10 days or so conditioning in a keg under CO2. Extended aging does not help wheat beer.

A clean, unspiced, unflavored wheat beer is a delicious experience. My preference is the hop blasted IPAs and IIPAs but every once in a while I love a light, crisp wheat beer that you can just drink and drink for days.

I have a German Weissbier in bottles right now that is to die for. It is nothing special. Wheat and pale malts with a hint of aromatic for some color more than anything. This thing is a gorgeous coppery amber color. It has a hint of banana on the nose. I used 1 ounce of Hallertau for standard bittering and aroma. I split that 25% bittering and 75% aroma. The body is perfect, light and clean up front and it settles out to a malty, clove feel as it hits the back of your throat.

I can't stand the banana bread wheat beers (Saranac Hefe is a prime example) but a light clean and refreshing wheat beer with just the right amount of aroma and flavor from the yeast is where it's at. This is truly a style where I think it is best to let the yeast shine. A lot of people will throw orange peel and coriander and other spices in there, but I think that just hides the true beauty of the wheat beer.

In Germany, the yeasts they use and their decoction methods produce a beer style that is hard to duplicate in the home brewery.

Try again! A homebrew weizen isn't hard, and lots of us on here consistently brew them as part of our regular pipeline. Use good continental malt, pick the right yeast and control your fermentation temp. No need to decoct. I've done a few hefeweizens and a weizenbock, all have come out as good as commercial versions.

F250 said:
Most wheat beers I've ran across didn't have, nor need, any "flavorings".

Rick

I agree totally.

My first experience with wheat beer was in Germany, and I fell in love with them. For a while I tried every wheat beer I could get my hands on, and soon discovered there are a lot that I think are mediocre, and I do not like flavorings added. Leinenkugel's, I'm looking at you....
Now I am a little more choosy, and I will try any brewpub wheat, as long as there are no other flavors. I perticularly like a nice Hefe on a warm summer evening.

Back