WLP500, failure to launch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chromebrew

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just put down a really nice belgian dubbel and went with WLP500. I pitched Sunday evening, wort was about 60 degrees. From what i read about this yeast is that you want to start it off at a low temp and gradually bring it up to really get the nice fruit flavors. Well this morning still no airlock activity so out of curiosity i opened the fermenter and there wasnt even a hint of krausen. I know this isnt the end all be all of fermentation but i think i should see something....anything...What is up with this? i brought it up to 65 while im at work today....hoping something has happened.

Has anyone else had issues like this with WLP500? Really bummed out >.<

Oops i didnt account for the standard questions. No on the starter, and i didnt have time to check the gravity on my way out the door this morning. I will be doing that this afternoon. I guess im just fishing for anything that you old vets know about this Trappist variety of yeast. Im guessing I should have made a starter since my OG was 14.5 Brix... Im still kinda green.

A starter would have helped.. Especially since some yeasts can take a day before they "wake up". I'd say you'll be fine, and in the future make a starter. I've used that strain of yeast several times and it's very vigorous.

Well, no change detected. I guess its possible i was sold a dead vial...i would think that is highly unlikely. I guess i will be stopping by the LHBS on my way home tomorrow. I will using a starter for sure this time. I just hope my wort keeps until tomorrow afternoon.

Check out the thread "My WPL 500 Starter is a bust" in the Yeast and Fermentation forum. I do not know how to post the link. Basically, you need to wait a while.

WLP 500 is notorious for being a little slow on the initial fermentation, even if you make a starter. You didn't make a starter, so it will take even longer than that.

Thanks for the responses guys! ill give it another day or two and some stirring...im just nervous about an infection. Ive never had one and id hate to break that streak :)

Chromebrew said:
Thanks for the responses guys! ill give it another day or two and some stirring...im just nervous about an infection. Ive never had one and id hate to break that streak :)

It's a valid concern at this point, after 4 days. Now is when your sanitation practices have a chance to shine. If you've been careful, you should have no problems.

Just got home and found a rumbling airlock. Thanks for the input Bottlebomber! You were spot on.

Latest posts

Back