yest from secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've poured wort onto the yeast cake left in my primary before, and it worked great. Now, I want to know if I can use the yeast left in the secondary fermenter for a second batch?

I brewed, did 10 days in the primary, then racked to secondary for another 14 days. My primary carboy is clean, and I'd like to brew this weekend . . . there is a nice cake of yeast in the secondary fermenter, can I use it?

If there's enough yeast to ferment a batch, it'll be pretty tired.

My rule is that if I'm wondering whether I should use yeast, it's time to buy some new stuff. Just me, though.

Good luck.

The yeast that makes it into secondary is the less flocculant of the yeast. It's the underproductive yeast, as opposed to the hard charging, go getting yeast that actually fermented the original beer, did their job and went dormant after a hard days work. In secondary you got the weak and lazy yeast.

It's like trying to count on the third string football team to win the superbowl, think they'll have a chance to actually win?

If you like cloudy beer... yes. Harvesting yeast from secondary tends to put selective pressure on the yeast, selecting the yeast that is the least flocculent and highest attenuating.

Back