How long in primary fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storm76

Reaction score
Yesterday at made my first brew:

1 can Cooper mex cervesa
1 kg Brew Enchancer 2
11,5 grams of Safale S-04

OG 1040
Fermenting temp 21,5 - 23,5 `C

So my question is how long should ( or could) i let it be on the primary fermenter before i bottle my brew?

For a Cooper's kit, I don't really see any reason to let it sit for longer than a month. I'd say 4 weeks is a good safe bet, although if you want to go longer that'll be alright. 12 weeks is my personal cut off, although admittedly there are varying opinions about autolysis.

For that yeast, I'd go no higher than 21C, no matter what the can says. You want to go by the yeast's optimum fermentation temperature. The manufacturer's website says it works from 15C-24C, but I find that fermenting it on the cooler side gives the best flavor. If you can control the temperature, 17-21C would be ideal.

Keep in mind that I'm talking about the temperature of the wort, not the ambient temperature of the room. Fermentation can cause the heat inside the fermenter to rise quite a bit (even up to 10 degrees above the ambient temperature), so a stick-on thermometer is helpful.

3 weeks to a month...I would do a month, and bottle, personally.

Even Palmer says you should wait with kits...

How To Brew said:
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

Your beer will thank you for waiting....

Back