Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nordoe

Reaction score
So I made a simple yeast starter last night by adding 3 cups of water to .75 cup of dme. Let them boil for about 20 mins and cooled down to pitching temp. Put them in a santized growler and added the yeast. It was Wyeast 3068. Santized some tin foil and placed it over the growler with a rubber band. Swirled it around a few times last night and went to sleep. This morning, it must have grown so much that it leaked out of the top. Few questions. 1. Do you think there is a risk of infected the starter from the leak? 2. I dont plan on brewing until Sunday, which is 4 days away, can it be kept out and still good for sunday?

After 24 hours I would stick it in a fridge if you can. It will help the yeast settle and make it easier to pour off the starter beer. I thought I saw something about this being the suggestion of wyeast as well. In the fridge it will be fine for 4 days.

1. Minimal risk of infection. Stuff was just going out, nothing went in.

2. 4 days is actually a pretty common amount of time to let a starter go, you should be good.

After 24 hours I would stick it in a fridge if you can. It will help the yeast settle and make it easier to pour off the starter beer. I thought I saw something about this being the suggestion of wyeast as well. In the fridge it will be fine for 4 days.

If i do put it in the fridge, should I let it sit out while brewing to warm it back up, or just pitch right out of the cold.

If i do put it in the fridge, should I let it sit out while brewing to warm it back up, or just pitch right out of the cold.
Yes, when you are ready to use it, carefully pour off the beer at the top until its just about to start flowing yeasty (watch it close). Then, let that sit out for a few hours to let it warm up before pitching

Back