Canadian homebrewers: brewing with Crown Syrup ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
I know that Brits have Lyle's syrup, but I cannot locate any of that stuff here. All I seem to find is Crown's Golden Syrup wich is glucose, water, refiner's syrup, SALT and VANILLINE. It's the salt and vanilline I'm worried about, it tastes pretty strongly of vanilla. I would use it in a batch of Oatmeal stout, so the vanilla might not be all that out of place.

Anybody has experience brewing with the stuff ?

Sounds a lot like Karo Syrup. I don't think it would have the same flavor as Lyle's but if you needed a little sugar adjunct it would probably work. Give it a taste test to check the level of vanilla and salt.

I think that the salt should be okay. A quick search of the nutrition facts shows it to have 25 mg of sodium per 2 tbsp. If you use 2 tbsp in a 23 L batch, then you should have about 1 ppm of NaCl. Palmer recommends keeping the level of Sodium between 0-150 ppm, so as long as you don't add ~300 tbsp of syrup you should be golden.

Yeast can metabolize vanillin, so that shouldn't be an issue.

What is refiner's syrup?

Latest posts

Back