is it possible to alter the taste of a beer kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amber-ale

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been given a can of Coopers Australian dark ale. It makes 23 litres/5gallons.
I usually do smaller batches since I cannot lift 23 kilograms. So I was going to put this beer kit and associated sterile water into two 10L/2.5G fermenters.
And I thought, why not try and make 2 flavours?
Anybody have any suggestions on additives to create a different flavour? Chilli? Ginger? Smoke?
I was going to dry hop, depending on what the flavour turns out to be.
Could I turn one fermentor into an oatmeal stout?

I usually do all grain brews, but someone was being nice and gave me a can of what looks like beer syrup, and I thought I would give it a try. According to the directions, I just have to dissolve this "beer syrup" and some sugar in some hot sterile water, then further dilute this up to 23 litre/5gallons with room temp sterile water and add yeast.

I have never used that extract but you can definitely experiment with it. That is my favorite thing about brewing! You could steep oats and chocolate malt at 160F and probably end up with something like an oatmeal stout. I don't know how roasty that extract is but you could also add some dark 120L caramel malt to your steeping grains too. I would probably do like a half pound of chocolate malt, half to a pound of oats, and maybe 2 oz of the dark caramel malt or an oz of black malt if you want more of a roasty character.

Back