Why is everyone not doing this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strange, but I've received hostile responses as well. People normally either think I'm a pretentious beer snob, or a redneck hillbilly moonshiner. Really I'm just a chill dude who likes to try his hand at making good beverages. It's always good to meet the ones that just "get it".

It is pretty easy from what SWMBO does, and the quality is great. Basically you buy bulk glycerin based soap (http://www.brambleberry.com/Bulk-Melt-and-Pour-Soap-Base-C126.aspx) and melt it down with fragrances like honey or lavender or whatever you can think of, and then pour it into molds and let it set.

I don't do "melt and pour"- I do cold process. It's done with oils, water, and lye. I think melt and pour soapmaking would be like making beer out of a canned prehopped LME- ok for many, but not really doing the process.

It's easy- if you can brew beer, you can make soap. It's all chemistry and patience! There are tons of places on the internet (even forums like this one!) for soapmaking.

I think most people don't do what many of us do, as was mentioned. Make our own food (nobody seems to really cook any more), or hunt/fish/forage, or make our own detergents and soaps, etc. Maybe I'm just an old hippy, but I get more satisfaction out of making most of my own food and drink. I don't buy packaged food, for example. Most people think that's weird. Homebrewing is kind of a weird hobby, too, when you think about it that way.

Yogurt is simple. You get fresh milk (not ultra pasteurized- I use fresh goat's milk that I pasteurize at 180 for 30 minutes, and then reduce the temp to 112 quickly) and add a couple of tablespoons of yogurt, or 1/4 teaspoon of yogurt culture. Keep at 112 degrees for 6-12 hours. Stir and refrigerate. That's it! The trick, though, is getting fresh milk. The chevre is even easier in some ways.

With fresh goats milk, why not just make it raw? Raw milk is so much better in my unsolicited opinion.

On a side note, do you know if the male and female goats are separated? I hear that has an effect on "goaty' taste in the milk.

everyone isn't doing this because most people like BMC beer. And that is cheaper to buy than to brew.

With fresh goats milk, why not just make it raw? Raw milk is so much better in my unsolicited opinion.

On a side note, do you know if the male and female goats are separated? I hear that has an effect on "goaty' taste in the milk.

I'm so natural I bypass the bucket and just drink it straight from the goat! :ban:

everyone isn't doing this because most people like BMC beer. And that is cheaper to buy than to brew.

I somewhat disagree with that. Once you have all the components to brew, making a batch is much cheaper than buying beer. I'm an all-grainer, and I spend around $25 a session on ingredients. That's 5 gallons of amazing homebrew for less than the cost of three six packs of good microbrews.

And, if you store your unused grains well, the price goes down in the future, seeing how you always have left over grain for the recipes that call for .25lbs of mo and such.

I somewhat disagree with that. Once you have all the components to brew, making a batch is much cheaper than buying beer. I'm an all-grainer, and I spend around $25 a session on ingredients. That's 5 gallons of amazing homebrew for less than the cost of three six packs of good microbrews.

And, if you store your unused grains well, the price goes down in the future, seeing how you always have left over grain for the recipes that call for .25lbs of mo and such.

$25 can buy you two 30 packs of cheap beer though, and that's what most people will compare it to. Compared to Busch, homebrewing is expensive. The only way it's cheaper is if the beer drinker likes expensive microbrews.

But where in the 5% are the brewing ********? :cross:

Oh trust me, there's a percent or two. Know it all asshats that believe they are beer masters of every style. That's what makes the remaining 3% so special.:mug:

$25 can buy you two 30 packs of cheap beer though, and that's what most people will compare it to. Compared to Busch, homebrewing is expensive. The only way it's cheaper is if the beer drinker likes expensive microbrews.

like the dogfish head 60 minute IPA I'm drinking now... yum but it costs $10 for a 6 pack!

Think about how things we use in this country are made in the present compared to our parents and grandparents generations. Are most of the consumable goods we used made here in the USA or made elsewhere and brought here for us to consume. Without living in a culture where we have a more direct connection to making the things we use we may lose the interest and confidence in producing what we need. Heck...people now can heat soup heated in a microwave and drink it from a plastic cup. How the heck will that compare with leanring to can your own vegetables.

maybe it is just the increasing numbers of drivethru options at places like McDonalds, KFC and Taco Bell

Not necessarily true. Not taking into account the cost for the equipment or labor, and seeing as I wash and reuse most yeast, I can produce a 30 pack of "light" beer for $4.

That's
10 lbs of 2-row ($0.80/lb)
4 lbs of Rice (2 lb for $1)
2 oz of bulk hops at $1/oz

Oh yeah, that makes a 10 gal batch that finishes at 1.004. 4.2%

Now, is that the kind of beer I like to make? No, but it's perfect for beer pong:ban:

All of my friends love good beer. Most of them do not make their own. I understand why do to the cost of equipment, time and effort. I do not knock them for that fact, although it does not stop me from trying to get them started in the brewing process. Its just a certain breed that can do this....especially one that can do it consistently and obsessively.

One of the biggest challenges in life is learning that not everyone thinks like you. Lots of people spend their time doing things I could absolutely care less about, such as keeping track of professional sports or running or any number of things.

But at the same time I have a ton of hobbies doing things that many other people could care less about. I think my actual hobby is trying to get as many hobbies as possible. I , play guitar, etc etc and now I started making beer and wine.

The common theme in this is I like to do/built/make/create. That must be common for most people on this forum so I'm not surprised to read that you guys do a host of other things just like me. Just be thankful that you are part of the 5% of people who can and do instead of the 95% who can't and don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are tons of places on the internet (even forums like this one!) for soapmaking.

What are some of the better ones? I must admit I'm curious...

Also, I would just like to add that I'm a relatively lazy, city-dwelling, never-shot-anything, not-very-handy, don't-know-my-way-around-a-car, mostly-vegan candy ass writer that will almost certainly die in the first wave of the apocalypse, and I love brewing beer. I think the only requirement is: Must have solid recognition of things that are awesome. :mug:

I get three main responses when I mention that I brew beer:

Enthusiastic - Want to try my brew, want to know how I made it. Possible new brewer in the making.

Neutral - Don't really care. May try my brew, but BMC drinker at heart.

Hostile - "You BREW BEER!!! That's illegal!!! What are you, an alcoholic!?!?" Mostly "overly religious" relatives. Usually dumb as a box of rocks.

:mug:

People don't start home brewing for the same reason many people would never dare leave their cushy job to start their own business. I've done it twice and with a little luck will do it one more time (brewery?). It takes guts, creativity, and a little money helps as well.

Hostile - "You BREW BEER!!! That's illegal!!! What are you, an alcoholic!?!?" Mostly "overly religious" relatives. Usually dumb as a box of rocks.

:mug:

Interesting. With me it's usually the "overly religious" ones that give me the good response. I think most of them are imaging monks and friars filling wooden kegs when I mention brewing beer.

Interesting. With me it's usually the "overly religious" ones that give me the good response. I think most of them are imaging monks and friars filling wooden kegs when I mention brewing beer.

Protestants. They don't know what a "monk" is.

;)

I found an Ale the other day that was brewed by monks, i was reading the bottle and most of the money goes to keeping their monastery going.. which i guess would be obvious but whatever it seemed kind of neat to me. But it was $9 for a 1 Liter bottle..

I do like the idea of being charitable by buying beer though, and monks who brew sound so much more awesome then the average variety.

Oddly enough most people i mention that i started brewing to seem to have tried it, or has a friend who does it. Or They really want to try my beer :) Maybe it just says something about the people i surround myself with? They do tend to all like beer.

It's real fun but it's def not cheap, especially in the beginning. I started in college (1 year ago) and I still don't always have enough money to buy some of the stuff just because most my time is spent doing school stuff and I can only work part time. A lot of the time on days off I don't want to brew at night because I'd rather just go out since I kind of had money to do one or the other. I didn't take classes this summer though and have a nice stack of money to burn. I bought 5 kegs so I don't have to bottle and just got ingredients to make a Belgian White (Just added second hops a few minutes ago), Heffeweizen, and Imperial Oaked Stout....nice!

I beleive people who drink Pi$$ light beer enjoy Pi$$ light beer and not much else. Give them a good beer and they say they prefer light beer.

How all this got started is a mistery. Travel to Euro-land and you will not see much Pi$$ light beer. America and Asia is loaded with Pi$$ light beer, however.

Since brewing light beer is beyond many craftsman brewers, it is not a real option for light beer drinkers, anyway; right?

As with the majority of my hobbies I want something physical out of it. Golf is nice but at the end of the day I'm $40 down and just walked a lot and have a meaningless number to show for it. I do woodworking and have some nice furniture to show for it. I scuba and bring home tons of fresh seafood. With brewing I can enjoy my labors for weeks after it's done or share them at a party. The only hobby that I have enjoyed the end results of more than brewing is sex.

I beleive people who drink Pi$$ light beer enjoy Pi$$ light beer and not much else. Give them a good beer and they say they prefer light beer.

How all this got started is a mistery. Travel to Euro-land and you will not see much Pi$$ light beer. America and Asia is loaded with Pi$$ light beer, however.

Since brewing light beer is beyond many craftsman brewers, it is not a real option for light beer drinkers, anyway; right?

Not really true. Not sure how long you have been a member here but many of us enjoy both. I for one am one of them. I recently brewed and sampled a few funky sour beers and I really, really like them but my regular drinking beer is Natural Light. I guess one reason is I like drinking beer but I don't want to get wasted and NL seems to do the trick for me. Most beers not described as pi$$ are usually a bit to a lot stronger in alcohol, usually. I also don't see the sense in putting all the time and effort into brewing a beer that would be gone in a week or two so I buy my pi$$ beer. :)

As with the majority of my hobbies I want something physical out of it. Golf is nice but at the end of the day I'm $40 down and just walked a lot and have a meaningless number to show for it. I do woodworking and have some nice furniture to show for it. I scuba and bring home tons of fresh seafood. With brewing I can enjoy my labors for weeks after it's done or share them at a party. The only hobby that I have enjoyed the end results of more than brewing is sex.

To be fair, who likes the end result of sex? Two sweaty people trying to avoid a big wet spot in the middle of the bed.

Because unlike most on these boards you have to really have a passion for something to take the time to make it a hobbie and most people don't have a passion for beer. They may enjoy a cold one and may even prefer to go to the local brew pub than just drink the BMC but that doesn't translate into passion for beer. Most of the people who frequent these a any other chat board are about 5% of the people who are interested in whatever it is, beer, sports, gamine etc.

Time is another huge factor, people work longer and harder than ever and to do a hobby that requires a 4-6 hour comittment is big when factoring in the other things one can do that are fun for them, through a family into the mix and it just gets worse.

I agree, brewing is awesome! But I could ask "Why is everyone not doing this?" about all of my hobbies.

I make my own cheese and yogurt. I make my own soap. My soap is terrific, and it costs pennies per bar. My yogurt was cheap, too. My chevre is about 1/4 the cost of the store bought. My wines are even cheaper- since the fruit is free.

Many hobbies are fun, but don't produce anything. Like golf, for instance. But brewing is a hobby that is not only fun to do but has a great end result- BEER! I guess some people just don't think of it the same way.

is soap making dificult? would you share or pm a process?

Back