Whats up Everyone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishstick41

Reaction score
Hey guys, new guy here. Never really been good at introduction, I am from North Carolina born and raised in a family in which I was never allowed to brew or even drink. Now, like every young teenager, I found ways to make my own stuff, was it good... no but the drive to make it into a hobby has been instilled in me for a while ... but now that I am out and in my own place I want to start brewing. For right now, I want to focus on Ciders and Meads. I am currently in the planning phase I believe I have all the big parts down. It's the fermenter hardware that I am debating on. I want to go with stainless steel but it's the cost for if I "Need" to do a Post fermentation which would mean I would need another stainless fermenter. It's the taste that I am worried about, am I missing something if I do not do a post-fermentation? As for buckets, I kind of want to stay away from plastic as much as possible. I am happy to be here guys!

Greetings from the San Francisco area. My advice to new folks is to look at the used markets. Craigs list and FB marketplace. Good stuff to be had cheaper as people get in and out of the hobby. I have two plastic fermenting buckets that I have used since I started. Not sure why you want to stay away from plastic as they are a bit less expensive and can provide the same results I think. But, not being a pro I will leave that up to the guys and gals who know lots more than I do. Enjoy the site and enjoy the hobby. Rock On!!!!!!

thanks for the welcome! I'm not totally against plastic I just heard bad things can happen if they are not cleaned correctly and steel is easier to clean. Also, heard that plastic lets oxygen in? I don't know..

thanks for the welcome! I'm not totally against plastic I just heard bad things can happen if they are not cleaned correctly and steel is easier to clean. Also, heard that plastic lets oxygen in? I don't know..
I am not sure about the oxygen part. I have not had any issues, but maybe I just don't know enough to realize I have. LOL. As far as cleaning correctly, I have read that if you use metal or anything abrasive and scratch the inside of the plastic that could cause problems, so I would say that you are correct there. I don't stir once the liquid has entered the bucket, and when I clean I use a homemade bucket washer I made out of PVC pipe, a small pump I got off Amazon and a big tub that my wife used for planting that she no longer uses. Again, not a pro, so I would wait for the experts to add to this. Enjoy.

To be honest plastic would save me money and it does seem many people have great success with plastic. I guess I am also very cautious starting hobbies. doing things correctly first, saving money and time.

To be honest plastic would save me money and it does seem many people have great success with plastic. I guess I am also very cautious starting hobbies. doing things correctly first, saving money and time.
I would wait for the experts. I know nothing about meads and very little about ciders. My next experiment is going to make a cider after completing the fermentation of my next beer. Don't take what I say as anything but a newbie spouting off. LOL. Wait, there are many folks here that will give you some great info.

Hey guys, new guy here. Never really been good at introduction, I am from North Carolina born and raised in a family in which I was never allowed to brew or even drink. Now, like every young teenager, I found ways to make my own stuff, was it good... no but the drive to make it into a hobby has been instilled in me for a while ... but now that I am out and in my own place I want to start brewing. For right now, I want to focus on Ciders and Meads. I am currently in the planning phase I believe I have all the big parts down. It's the fermenter hardware that I am debating on. I want to go with stainless steel but it's the cost for if I "Need" to do a Post fermentation which would mean I would need another stainless fermenter. It's the taste that I am worried about, am I missing something if I do not do a post-fermentation? As for buckets, I kind of want to stay away from plastic as much as possible. I am happy to be here guys!

Repost your questions in the mead/cider area of this forum. You're unlikely to attract the right folks here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forums/mead-forum.30/https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forums/cider-forum.32/

Welcome, I've only been brewing 3 years, but I've been walking the earth for 66, I've learned one thing about hobbies, tools and purchases in general, " buy once cry once" really is the best way to go, otherwise, you'll spend more money in the long run and, in the end, buy what you really wanted the first go 'round..

Enjoy your newfound hobby.

Welcome to our forums!
It's better to use plastics that are more "oxygen tight" than others. Fermenters made from #1 plastic (PET) are better than #2 plastic (HDPE) ones in that regard.

For meads the batches could be fairly small, like 1-3 gallons. Some swear by using glass, but there are risks when it's handled and cracks, especially the larger (3-6 gallon) vessels. You rarely hear about serious injuries from 1 gallon glass jugs.

I'm agreeing with @passedpawn, this forum is meant for mere introductions. Specific questions are better posted in the applicable (technical) forums. ;)

Back