what's the latest date to plant rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Gordon_Freeman

Reaction score
I want to plant some but I won't be able to until after June 5. I don't expect a crop this year anyway, would it be worth it or should I just wait until next spring?

How big could they grow from rhizome in 4-5 months?

Also, is freshops the only place to buy plants, or is there another good reseller out there?

The later you plant, the more you have to look at them as getting a start on being first year plants next year. However, as long as you don't kill them it is hard to think of time in the ground as wasted. All you might lose is a few bucks and a little time with a garden trowel. If they grow, you have a head start on getting them to the size that will produce a crop for you. If they don't, well, at least you tried,. I planted some rather late last year. I ended up bringing some of the buckets inside under grow lights to see what would happen. I got pretty good growth in my basement. (I also drowned a few of them, purely exuberant "operator error"). Those that I did not drown are off to an okay start.

I just ordered from these folks for the free shipping. http://diybrewing.com/beer/ We'll see when they come in. I got a bunch from these folks earlier. http://www.baderbrewing.com/store/home.php?cat=408. They seem to be fine. I bought from Freshops last year, and theirs did well. I got one rhizome from Midwest this spring that was DOA, too loosely packed and knocked around, with it's bud broken. All the rest have been fine.

I agree with above poster. Get them in the ground asap even if they don't produce this year!

I want to plant some but I won't be able to until after June 5. I don't expect a crop this year anyway, would it be worth it or should I just wait until next spring?

How big could they grow from rhizome in 4-5 months?

Also, is freshops the only place to buy plants, or is there another good reseller out there?

Not sure where Black Mesa is, but up here in MI I've put a rhizome in on Father's Day and had it live. It didn't grow very big that year but it was a Hallertau which are kind of fincky. On year three it's still pretty slow but keeps tossing up bines so I'll keep growing it.

Freshops' rhizomes are top notch. That's the only vendor I've used. Hopsdirect should be good as well as their hops are always good. Lots of people on here have found good rhizomes on ebay as well. Don't disregard feedback on that site.

Dr G.,

hops were born to GROW. stick a root in the ground just about any time of the year and you'll most likely have a root system in the ground by fall that will not only take off the next year but will be twice as matue as any single rhizome planted next to it the following spring. Go for it! Dave is a great business man and even more interesting to party with as his brewery started up around the time as many others did in the late 80's. straight shooter!

Fresh hops is just an hr drive away, offered me a beer when I was there. I picked out 2 cascade and 2 fuggle last year in march. it was the soonest i could go there and pick them up. if I didnt have the family with me I could of played in the hops and righzomes and work of the debt. lol!! Nice guy and good beer!! the plants grew to 8 ft last year and 1 even pruduced a few hops. Plant away!!! june is summer so water regualry and use some compost to retain moisture.

Back