Help with timing the planting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf34

Reaction score
if :rock: I plant rhizomes in August/September in Maine, will the rhizomes last the winter and star growing in April, or must I really wait until next spring to plant!

Only one way to find out. If you do this, I would suggest getting them in as soon as possible. I've planted as late as early August here in Ohio with no issues the following spring. One thing folks don't take into consideration is that even though the top portion of the plant has died back after the killing frost, the roots will continue growing until the soils freeze. With this in mind, you might want to mulch pretty heavy this fall to help insulate the soil and retain some warmth as long as you can.

I just planted a Multihead plant about 2.5 weeks ago here in Colorado. The jury is still out as to whether or not it’s gonna take. But it’s not dead yet, so I’m optimistic. August/September seems late to me. I’m not sure there would be a whole lot of benefit vs waiting until next April/May to plant.

If you decide to wait until spring, get a rooted plant from Great Lakes Hops. If you roll this dice this year, maybe do rhizomes, because they’re cheaper.

Back