Beginning Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieeagle

Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Frank. I'm brewing my first batch of beer tomorrow. It's going to be a Belgian Trappist ale. I got the Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey yeast and what I've been told is a great Belgian partial extract kit from Brewer's Best. I'm making my starter tonight, and hope to have the beer in my new Conical by about midnight tomorrow. I guess I'll be checking in occassionally to report on the progress. I know it's quite a style to start off with, but quite honestly I need to get this recipe down, because I can be spending $20 on a four pack of Chimay anymore!!! Not if I can brew five gallons for $45. Wish me luck!!

good luck... but first brew and you have a conical?... wish i had that kind of cash haha...... i dig chimay though, they have 3 styles by me in larger bottles all delicious...but no 4 pks...

Chimay is good beer. Some make a starter from yeast harvested from a a bottle of beer of choice. I have not tried it myself.

I've read (not saying its gospel) chimay bottles with a different strain. If you're gonna try it, do your homework first to avoid disappointment.

Yeah, conical on your first batch? Nice move.

Wow, everything was moving so well. Starter yeast was growing like gangbusters. The boil went great and the cool down process took a little more than 10 minutes. Unfortunately I missed the detail part while adding water and checking the specific gravity. I was adding water after each gravity check, but I think I may have added the water too fast. Now I have six gallons of wort instead of five and a OG of 1.7 instead of 1.86. I'm going to end up with a beer that is about half the ABV than desired and I'll probably get a weak tasting Abbey ale. Well, lesson learned. Can't wait for the next batch.

BrewerBear, thanks for the words of encouragement. I hope to see some fermentation going on in the next day or so. I think the best part of the whole process was how well the starter reacted. I started with about an inch high yeast layer, and ended up with about a 3 inch yeast layer. I would say good yeast growth for an 18 hour starter. I'm hoping this compensates a bit for my water addition transgretion. I'm also kind of worried because I don't have a lot of space between the beer and the top of the fermenter. I hope I don't wake up to a pool full of beer some morning.

Back