Using blackberries, should I puree them or "chop" up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewd00d

Reaction score
My next project is is brewing a blackberry wheat lager. But this time, and I know its risky, im using wild black berries from my woods. I plan on throwing them into boil a little before flame out just to be safe side from any wild bateria, yeast etc. should I pueee them or cut them in half? I only want the yeast to be happy, but I also want to keep the blackberry bitss to a minimum.

I've used blackberries before in porter, and had really great results with them added to the secondary, that way you get more of the berry flavor. As far as treatment of the berries, I kept them whole and steamed them in a vegetable steaming basket for ten minutes prior to adding them gently crushed to the secondary, them racked the porter on top of them. Got a secondary fermentation that lasted a week, allowed two more weeks for clearing, and racked, primed, and bottled after that. Turned out as one of the nicest beers I've made to date. I don't know how much fruit you've got, but I used 10oz per gallon and it was perfect. As far as bits of berry in my beer, they are virtually non-existent, I credit this to my two week wait after the secondary fermentation finished.

Yeah +1 don't boil them. I soaked 4 lbs in vodka for about 2 hours,drained, and dumped them in the secondary. Added a nice twang to the beer.

Back