100% Rye Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I plan on brewing a 100% Rye beer and want to know if anyone has done it before and can offer up some thoughts. I know that I will need lots of Rice Hulls, patience, perhaps even a strainer. I am thinking of doing a 30 gallon batch and use 2 sacks of Rye and maybe like 5# of rice hulls. Sound like it will work to you Rye brewers?

I calculate about 1.070 OG and will use US-05 or some other high attenuating yeast.

I think you would need even more rice hulls. I cant remember the temperatures right now but I think with rye using an additional rest at a lower temp will break down some of the gummyness and help lautering and efficiency. I think the mash temperatures and rest times will be the most important part to making it work.

Ya know, you might want to brew a smaller batch first to make sure you're gonna like it. I love rye malt and use it a lot, but IMO, if you go over about 40% rye it gets pretty weird tasting. You don't want to end up with 30 gal. of something you don't like.

I like rye and that is part of the reason I am going so big. I have a friend that has a big setup and I figure that I will make a larger batch so that I can give him half and I will take the other half.

I plan on Mashing around 145 or so in order to get a nice dry beer at the end.

I've never gone over 25%, but from what I've read mashing around 158F is your best bet due to the higher starch gelatinization temperature required for rye.

I had the same question a few days ago. Rye malt does. Rolled rye does not.

Generally, a straight malted grain can convert itslef. When you start doing strainge things to it, mainly kilning for longer periods of time is when grain can't convert itslef.

Righto, thanks for the concern on the smaller batch pilot. However, let's just say that I have done the pilot with 80% and am now doing the 100% with the feeling of success in mind. Has anyone else done 100% Rye? If so what kind of success and failures are to be expected? I have changed to the smaller test and just want to know if it is possible or should I just throw in the towel and add barley to this? Thanks

Back