Leinenkugel 1888 Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huknbuk

Reaction score
I was at the grocery store the other night and noticed that they already had the spring Leinenkugel seasonal, the 1888 Bock. I decided to get a six pack. I liked it a lot. It had a lot of flavor and went down remarkably well. I wish Leinies would focus more on beers like this, their Creamy Dark and Red and less on what new vlavor to add to Honey Weiss.
Has anyone else had a chance to try the 1888 Bock?

I've never tasted a Leine that I actually like so I have given up. :(
I might try it as a single but I'm not wasting money on a 6er.

BTW: The bar down the street from my office keeps an experimental version of Leinie's on tap. Right now it's called Lion Lager. Has sort of an apple cider mouth feel to it. I understand Applebees gets another beta version to test for Lienies but I haven't been there to try it.

As I don't like most of their beers, I thought this was better than most.

They are what they are. I can't stand the regular Leinies or Leinies Light, but I find Leinie's Red and others to be better than average. Of course, I prefer to drink what I brew like most of us, but for .80 a bottle I think it stands up pretty well. They also put on a nice brewery tour, complete with a couple drink tickets for free (last time I checked) and their merchandise with the Wisconsin/Minnesota Northwoods theme is fantastic.

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with Leinie, I just don't particularly care for them. Their Fire Nut Brown tasted like cr@p.

Yeah, I am not a big fan of Leinies. SWMBO enjoyed the 1888, but I didn't care for it much. Like most of their beers, I found it to be mostly flavorless and watery. My $0.02

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with Leinie, I just don't particularly care for them. Their Fire Nut Brown tasted like cr@p.

+1 on all accounts.

I spent a summer up in Egg Harbor and wound up quickly hating Leinie. I've tried a couple of their products since then with very little enthusiasm. The other day the Fireside Nut Brown was the crappy beer that broke the camels back though. I don't think I can go back now. That thing was horrible. Give me a Moose Drool anyday. To each his own but I can't do those things anymore. My 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back