Bellsouth DSL Rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We need a "rant" forum...

[RANT]

I've got Bellsouth DSL at home. I specifically paid for a package that included a static IP address, because I run a server on my DSL.

After several day sof banging my head on the wall trying to get all of my services running on the server, I started to doubt my seasoned skills because, no matter what I did, I could not get my SMTP (email) services working. Local mail on the server was fine, but nothing from the outside was getting in, and nothing on the inside was getting out.

I tried several versions of linux, attempting to use both sendmail and postfix with every distro installed. No luck.

After some snooping around, I finally learned that Bellsouth blocks port 25 for residential customers, which is the port necessary for running an SMTP server.

ARGH!

So, I browse around on their website and actually went through the trouble of reading the fine print on my service contract. NO WHERE does it say that I was agreeing to have port 25 blocked on my line.

In fact, I came across a very interesting bit of text in the FAQ about static IP adresses (static IPs carry an additional charge that I did agree to pay for). This is a direct quote from their website:

Why would I use a Static IP?
Customers request a Static IP for a variety of reasons. There are several types of services that require an IP that doesn't change. Most commonly customers will want to use their Static IP for: Hosting a Website or Mail Server, Webcams, VOIP ,Video Conferencing and Gaming.

So... it seems pretty clear to me that I paid for a static IP address, yet I am not able to use it as advertised.

So, armed with the information and links to be able to say, "F**k you... you need to open up port 25 for me," I finally picked up the phone and called them.

I was informed that port 25 is only open for Business customers but not for Residential customers.

So... I started lobbing my grenades at them and pointing them to all of the information that indicated that I never agreed to have the port blocked, and I'm only attempting to use the DSL service in a way that they claim to allow in their FAQ.

They offered to upgrade me to Business class. I said that this would be fine, but that I refused to pay any additional charges.

They said that they could do this with their Business DSL "Lite" package. Same price as my current DSL service, and port 25 works.

UNACCEPTABLE

The "lite" service runs at a fraction of the speed of my current service. So I made myself clear that I wanted the same speed at the same price and port 25 open. They said that they could not do this.

Having had enough of this crap (I had been transferred around about 15 times on the phone at this point) I told them to please connect me with someone who could cancel my service and issue me a refund for the months already paid for.

After a couple minutes on hold, I was speaking with a customer service agent who in no way seemed interested in helping me cancel my service and get a refund, but instead seemed very willing to try and get things resolved for me and get port 25 open.

I'm waiting on them to call me back now, but at the end of today I will either have my fast DSL with no blocked ports, or I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

[/RANT]

Gotta love it. I had a problem with Comcast a few months ago. I live in an apartment and I am one of the end units. The Comcast box for the whole building on the outside is attached to one of my walls. One day I came home from a weekend trip and we didn't have any cable tv or internet service. SWMBO took the dog out for a walk and saw that the outside box was on the ground and all the wires were cut. I called Comcast and reported this, it took them a week to come out and they said no one else in the building had reported any problems. They finally came out during the day so I took time off from work to meet the cable guy but he never showed. I called Comcast to ask what happened and they said he was there and fixed our neighbor's cable service. When I told them my service was still out they said it would be another week until they would be back out, and that was a holiday. I yelled and screamed until I got someone to come out 2 days later to finally fix my service. I almost went to Cavalier DSL but it would have been too slow. Thankfully, I haven't had any major problems since then.

Yeah, I can see them trying to side-step the issue. If you read that quote I put in there from theit static IP FAQ but pay attention to different words:

Why would I use a Static IP?
Customers request a Static IP for a variety of reasons. There are several types of services that require an IP that doesn't change. Most commonly customers will want to use their Static IP for: Hosting a Website or Mail Server, Webcams, VOIP ,Video Conferencing and Gaming.

It just says that I would WANT to use it for this, not that I actually can :)

I'm still waiting for my callback, btw...

Be happy you have alternatives. I'm on hughesnet satellite DSL and have been having outages for the last two months. Tuesday is my SIXTH appointment to have a tech come out & look at it. There is no other service in the area (no cable, phone lines that barely do voice, etc.) Hughes knows I'm stuck & they just keep collecting their $60/month. There is NO support resolution number, just the regular one that goes to India and the step-by-step-by-step-by-step-... proceedures that are useless.

My company's server is in LA, so the BS doesn't impact anything that is online, but it really cripples development.

I've got them bent over now. They were willing to move me to bussiness DSL and reduce the monthy fee so that I was only paying $13 more per month and I was going to get port 25.

My response was, "You apparently have the ability to charge whatever you want for the service. So, If you can reduce the charge on the business DSL by $40, then please reduce it another $13 so that I am not paying any extra per month."

I uttered the words "false advertising" and they decided to put me on hold and try to work something out with the billing department.

-walker

Throw in Better Business Bureau and FTC, that should help grease the wheels.

todd_k said:
Throw in Better Business Bureau and FTC, that should help grease the wheels.

Man... nobody respects the BBB anymore.

I've got them talked down to matching my residential rate now. Their catch was that I have to sign a contract stating that I agree to keep a phone line (phone... not DSL) with them for 3 years.

No problem.... I'm not going anywhere.

I WIN!
I WIN!

Walker-san said:
Man... nobody respects the BBB anymore.

I've got them talked down to matching my residential rate now. Their catch was that I have to sign a contract stating that I agree to keep a phone line (phone... not DSL) with them for 3 years.

No problem.... I'm not going anywhere.

I WIN!
I WIN!

You think you might want to convert to a VOIP service at some point during that time, though? Three years is a LONG time.

the_bird said:
You think you might want to convert to a VOIP service at some point during that time, though? Three years is a LONG time.

My phone service is local only. I use my cell for long distance and most local calls, too. (lots of free minutes.)

Speaking of cell phones, since I am now A Business Customer with bellsouth, I get a 10% discount on my Cingular service. I also get a free domain name, webhosting space, sameday repair sergive and other goodies.

So.... I'm actually getting MORE than I was asking for, and I am SAVING $5/month!

I f*cking rule! :rockin:

I know, I know. But if you told them your next call was to the FTC, they may have crapped themselves. You didn't need it anyway.

the_bird said:

I made the mistake of trying voip with comcast - HUGE mistake. They totally f'd up my wiring and I had to change back after numerous problems.

It ended up leading to more and more issues on their end and EVEN after I returned all the equipment, they STILL tried to charge me for a couple of months.

They actually tried to tell me I owed them because, even though I returned the equipment and had them switch the service back over, I didn't call their cancellation department.

I told them that if I have to call the cancellation department, I'd be adding my digital cable and high speed internet to the list. They quickly changed their minds about what I owed.

Some of my wife's friends *love* their Vonage services, but persoanlly I wouldn't trust them. They're going to burn through all their cash and be out of business with a few years, methinks. I've though about making a switch once VOIP is available through Time Warner (not yet in our area), it'd be nice to get everything consolidated. Cingular for cell, Verizon for regular phone and DSL, Time Warner for cable; PITA.

I thought about consolidating my home phone into my Comcast tv and cable modem but with all the problems I had last summer, I didn't want to risk not having all 3 out at the same time. Maybe after I move I'll change over since it would be cheaper for the 1st year.

I currently have DirecTV because of the NFL monopoly.
I want to get DirecTV's Hi-def service, but the only way to get a good deal (it seems) is to switch to COX cable for awhile and then switch back.

They give all kinds of stuff away for new customers.

olllllo said:
I want to get DirecTV's Hidef service, buit the only way to get a good deal (it seems) is to switch to COX cable for awhile and then switch back.

Call and say you want to cancel. Find the best offers you can and let them know that is the reason for you leaving. They will most likely match.

I got hi-def channels and a high-def box with a DVR for free using that method. The only thing is that they MIGHT call your bluff - but they almost always try to keep you as a customer.

Oh, and I got all that stuff for free about 8 hours after trying to add the services through the sales department. They wanted to change all kinds of stuff - my premium package, box and wanted a service guy to come out at my expense.

Funny, the cancellation people saw it differently.

I don't think I'll ever add another option without talking to the cancel department first.

Keep in mind in the future along with throwing out threats to contact the FTC, other great resroucres to use when posed with these hurdles are The Public Service Board, and the Attorney General's office. These governmental entity's tend to send the hair on the back of any telco standing on end, and usually ensure speedy results.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Now all you need to do is scam a year's wages and benefits out of your company, quit your job, start smoking pot, work out more and buy a 1970 Firebird.

Then you would rule.

:p

Also learn to move your head to the left at a particulary opportune time.

rdwj said:
... They actually tried to tell me I owed them because, even though I returned the equipment and had them switch the service back over, I didn't call their cancellation department...

Comcast loves using that line! They tried using it on two of my friends and they threatened, same as you. Comcast backed down. I got Direct TV a year ago and SBC DSL a few months ago and have never looked back. So far, no problems.:eek:

Rhoobarb said:
I got Direct TV a year ago and SBC DSL a few months ago and have never looked back. So far, no problems.:eek:

I came REALLY close to doing the same. My wife gets the internet covered as a work expense now, so I'd rather keep the speed if everything else in equal.

As far as TV goes, they seem to be pretty much equal, although, I wouldn't mind having the NFL season ticket!

Two bad experiences with BellSouth:
1) DSL (1998) - they were going to offer us service at our old house until I pointed out that we were 27,000' from the office. "Techie" on the line didn't understand why this would be a problem. Eventually I got transferred to an actual tech who realized they shouldn't be offering me service.

2) BellSouth security. We had a security system with them at our old place and got a contract we could cancel (we knew we were moving within 2 years). Turned out the agent was just lying and later they sent another agent who claimed agent 1 had been fired for being crooked (sure, whatever you say), and that the contract couldn't be cancelled. We would be able to transfer it to our new house to finish out the last months on the contract. Later they claimed the contract had reset when we moved and we had a new 3 year contract.

BS: "Why would we install a free security system in your new house if you only had a few months left on your contract?"
Me: "I don't know. I asked you not to and let us just finish the last $150 of charges, but you insisted on installing it anyways."

After faxing them them the amended contract we signed with their agent #2 they gave up.

I'll never deal with them again if I can help it.

rdwj said:
I came REALLY close to doing the same. My wife gets the internet covered as a work expense now, so I'd rather keep the speed if everything else in equal.

As far as TV goes, they seem to be pretty much equal, although, I wouldn't mind having the NFL season ticket!

Boy am I having a nightmare with DirecTV right now.

Yesterday I had two installation appointments, one in the mornign to move my dish and my connections from the old place to the new place. The other one was in the afternoon to install an HD reciever.

Well, no one showed up for the morning appointment. Someone called me at 11 and said they'd be there at 1. No one showed until 3 PM. I was pissed. I asked the installer why he was so late and he instantly got an attitude with me. He asked me what I wanted him to do about it, and I told him to install what he came to do. He then said maybe I should reschedule for another day if i was so unhappy about it. I said do what you have to do. He walked off and left and now I'm **** out of luck.

Guess what? DTV doesn't give a rats ass about it. They aren't doing anything even still today. I have no idea what course of action to take.

I'm supposedly on thier "A" list of customers. Unreal.

Dude said:
Boy am I having a nightmare with DirecTV right now.
Don't bother switching to DISH Network - I had almost exactly the same problem with them.

I signed up for their promotional "Free Move" program because I knew I'd be moving from a temporary apartment to my new house. The technician never showed up. Worse yet, when I called customer service (in INDIA!!!), the barely-comepetent-in-English-speaking representative told me that the technician had come to my house and waited for 30 minutes, but no one was home. I confirmed my address with her, and explained that we'd been home all day. She proceeded to tell ME that I WAS NOT HOME. That's when I went from slightly irritated to just plain pissed off. I asked if the tech was still available, but, of course he had finished for the day. I asked to reschedule ASAP. The answer was, "we have another appointment available in 3 weeks." Pissed off became pure (Yuri) rage. I called every DISH Network number I could find in order to speak to someone in this country. It didn't help. I finally ripped the dish off of the apartment building, and set it up next to the house. When the tech arrived 3 weeks later all I had him do was put the dish on the roof of my house.

WHAT HAPPENED TO CUSTOMER SERVICE?
WHAT THE F$&% IS UP WITH OUT-SOURCING TO THE MIDDLE EAST?

[/RANT]

EDIT: Oh yeah...I also asked about cancelling my service since I was so fed up. They were going to charge me several hundred dollars for early contract termination. Bastards.

Yuri_Rage said:
EDIT: Oh yeah...I also asked about cancelling my service since I was so fed up. They were going to charge me several hundred dollars for early contract termination. Bastards.

In my opinion, they broke the contract by not living up to the installation appointment agreement. I really have no other option besides DirecTV because of NFL Sunday Ticket.

I'm going to do the same thing you ended up doing---I'm going to rip my old dish off the old house and put it up myself temporarily. At least I might have football tomorrow.

DirecTV tried to screw me a couple years ago. They claimed I had never paid them for a month's service (even thought I had the cancelled check in my hand). I talked to some guy who could barely speak english, and he said he'd take care of it.

A few days later, I was disconnected. When I called them they said they'd disconnected me because I'd never paid them. Guess what? No record of the guy I'd talked to on my previous call. I had his name, but they refused to even ask him about it. They demanded I fax a copy of the check to them.

After I faxed it to them, they still claimed I had never paid it, and had no record of receiving the fax. Apparently, the faxes go to one location, and the customer service calls are in another place. The woman I talked to claimed they had no way of contacting the people who receive the faxes. ********.

So, they told me to fax it again. I did, with a letter complaining about their customer service and telling them I expected someone to call me. Of course, no one did and I still had no service. After a few days, I called them back, and guess what? No record of ever receiving the fax. They told me to fax it a third time and I blew up at them. They still refused to try contacting the people who recieve the faxes - the lady actually told me "that's not my job". So, I told them to cancel my service and they transferred me to the cancellation department.

There, I finally got a guy who gave a rat's a$$ about my business. He immediately credited me for the missing check and gave me a month's free service.

I just don't get it.

Dude said:
In my opinion, they broke the contract by not living up to the installation appointment agreement.
I mentioned that during the course of my conversation, but I would've had to take them to court to get them to give up on the early termination fee.

Sounds like you negotiated yourself a nice deal, Yuri. I tried to get postfix running with dovecot for POP and especially to have an IMAP server on my own LAN running on a FreeBSD or Linux server. I ran into the same kinds of problems you did. Port 25 blocked, and on top of that, I was trying to use a dyndns.org IP with my mail server since I don't have a static IP.

I still feel that if I devote enough time to it, I can work through the issues. I just don't have that much time to spare.

But, for only $179 per month, I could get business service with static IP and all ports unblocked. Uh, what a deal?

In my opinion, the ISPs are offering residential customers a dumbed down and restricted internet service that doesn't allow normal people to get the full advantage of the net.

Just wait until the ISP's start offering tiered service, like they're trying to push through Congress. What a bunch of crooks.

olllllo said:
I currently have DirecTV because of the NFL monopoly.
I want to get DirecTV's Hi-def service, but the only way to get a good deal (it seems) is to switch to COX cable for awhile and then switch back.

Unfortunately, a "new customer" will not be you.:mad:

I had DirecTV before I went overseas, sold my house and left the machine with the new owners.

After 5 years out of the country I was still not considered a "new customer". What every "new customer" was getting for FREE from Best Buy I had to pay $299...screw that...I have DishNetwork.

Well, sometimes it pays to be a royal dick.

After spending hours on the phone trackingown the *****ebags at the local DTV install office, I got a hold of the main supervisor and finally got something done. I just said my install got screwed up by your company, and I want it fixed. I told him I should be number one priority over all the other jobs because of it. The supervisor balked and balked some more--and the next thing I said hit home I guess. All I said was if my DTV isn't installed by tomorow afternoon (Sunday), my next call was going to be to the Virginia Attorney General's office, and I'd explain to them about what happened Friday, and I'd love for them to come sniffing around your offices.

He called me back in 20 minutes and said a crew would be at my place NLT 9AM on Sunday morning.

Guess what? The installer is here right now getting started.

Oh the stories I could tell you about BellSouth if I removed that voluntary memory block! I used to work for DirecTV's DSL Division a few years ago, and we HAAAAATED dealing with the BellSouth LEC. They would be slow to dispatch, uncooperative, constantly tell us it our lines instead of their lines. One time a customer was getting intermittent service because the phonebox was getting full of RAINWATER and shorting everything out. Their solution? Drill drainage holes.:rolleyes: Every other LEC we dealt with was friendly, sounded like human beings on the phone, and even though some networks seemed to be made out of bubblegum and baling wire, they at least TRIED. BellSouth just didn't care at all.

I also hate DirecTV with a passion because when they closed the DSL Division (went out of business) they killed the network, called us all into a room, told us we had an hour to collect our things and GTFO. This was two weeks before Christmas too. Wonderful! I knew I should have stolen some workstations while I had the chance!

Anyone with Direct TV have their DVR service? Do they give you a free DVR and service or just the DVR?
I'm planning on calling Comcast soon to "cancel" my service due to my upcoming move and I would like to try and weasel free DVR service out of them. My argument would hinge on Direct TV's DVR being free but I'm looking for free service too and if Direct TV doesn't offer that then I don't have a very good argument.

todd_k said:
Anyone with Direct TV have their DVR service? Do they give you a free DVR and service or just the DVR?
I'm planning on calling Comcast soon to "cancel" my service due to my upcoming move and I would like to try and weasel free DVR service out of them. My argument would hinge on Direct TV's DVR being free but I'm looking for free service too and if Direct TV doesn't offer that then I don't have a very good argument.

I have 2 DVRs, and I have to pay the fee. You pay the same flat rate DVR fee every month, no matter how many DVRs you have. You do however pay $4.99 for every receiver you have.

<bump>

Anyone seeing those Jack My Price Up cable commercials? Yea, new year & another higher Comcast cable rate. I need to consolidate and upgrade. Right now I get analog basic extended channels with Comcast & DSL and local phone service through Qwest. I got static IP that I can use ( ;) Walker) but am sick of servers in the house and am going to hosting services from now on. So; today I pay:

$88 a month DSL + local phone service.
$54 a month for analog basic extended cable.

That's $142 for older crap. I can get bundle deals from both providers but I'm a bit confused when you get into the digital realm of either cable or DirecTV (offered thru Qwest phone).

Do both tv providers require that a receiver is at every TV? I thought I heard not required for digital cable if you didn't want to do on demand etc.

It looks like a full qwest phone/internet/tv package is cheaper but I'm not so sure yet. I don't have an HDTV yet but plan to in the coming months. So now I also read on DirectTV that you have to pay up to get a HD receiver to get high def? Is that the same with cable?

And if all things being equal price wise which would you prefer for the tv feed?
What a friggen game :drunk: and I have a feeling my questions aren't done yet.

Just wait until they have 100% video rental on-demand and Blockbuster goes out of biz. The cable companies are HURTING from the fiber optics debacle of 99/00 and still trying to reclaim the money they lost. Add to it that we're still at only about 65% capacity for broadband and that satellite broadband is going to make all that pretty FO technology pretty much worthless.

US is so far behind in broadband that it's pathetic. S. Korea, Japan, and China already dominate in the BB market.

Latest posts

Back