Boilovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan1979

Reaction score
I've been reading up and considering electric brewing for a couple of weeks now. One thing I was wondering about was boilovers. When I cut the heat on my propane burner, the boilover subsides almost immediately. Is it the same w/ electric? I know it wouldn't be immediate on our electric stove, but the element not immersed.

Yea, when the foam gets close to the lip I flip the switch. I give it a couple good stirs and flip the power back on. About a second later it's boiling again.

I've been reading up and considering electric brewing for a couple of weeks now. One thing I was wondering about was boilovers. When I cut the heat on my propane burner, the boilover subsides almost immediately. Is it the same w/ electric? I know it wouldn't be immediate on our electric stove, but the element not immersed.

Yes it will happen with electric brewing, but you eliminate that with a pot with plenty of head space.
I suggest going for a 10 gal pot if doing 5 gal batches, and 20 for 10 gallons.
1/2 barrel kegs make perfect boil kettles, and unless you want the bling of a commercial kettle they can be cheaper.
Everyone here will help you through the process of converting to electric,
so... Just Do It!

I boil 15.5 gallons in a 17.5 gallon vessel and foam right to the very lip (if that says anything about the quality of control of the heat source).

EDIT: Also one reason I have a GFCI on the brewhouse :).

Within 15 seconds of turning the power off, you can remove an element from the liquid. So yeah, the boilover stops fast.

I never thought about this question but good question. I'm glad it's not like cooking with electric, which I hate.

Back