Apfelwein debacle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
So, instead of adding 2lbs of corn sugar to 5 gallons of apple juice, I added 4lbs:eek:!

I also dumped in another packet of yeast in the hopes I can still salvage this batch. Anyone have any opinion on how this will turn out?

I routinely add 3lbs. Give it a few extra months, but it will taste just fine :mug:

If not, dilute it a bit with a Canada Dry or something similar

I've altered the recipe and use 3 lbs of sugar for every batch now. No need for extra yeast, just a little extra time to ferement maybe. It will be fine, if a bit higher ABV.

Remember, this is home brewing. RWDHAHB applies to cider, wine and mead making as well.

I'm making a cider/wine that was made with 4lbs brown sugar, 2 lbs cane sugar, and 3 lbs honey. Mine was about 11.5% abv, but I cold crashed and stabilized at 1.020. So there was room to go further.

Edit-It tastes good so far, and not even a month old!!

I'm making a cider/wine that was made with 4lbs brown sugar, 2 lbs cane sugar, and 3 lbs honey. Mine was about 11.5% abv, but I cold crashed and stabilized at 1.020. So there was room to go further.

Edit-It tastes good so far, and not even a month old!!

that would knock me on my arse:rockin:

On my 1st batch I added over 4½ lbs of sugar to a 6 gal batch (including extra sugars from 8 cans AJ concentrate) and fed it to a hungry champagne yeast. I hadn't learned to get an OG reading yet, but now it's sitting in secondary at .994 and the vinometer reads from 17.5% to 20%, FWIW. Hopefully it'll make a tasty summer beverage for 2011! :D

Back