Kitchenaid Burr Mixer for milling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is similar in function to the victoria/corona mills that some people use with good result. Here are the problems I anticipate, however.

1. Coffee beans are much large than wheat or barley grains. As such, a burr grinder for coffee may work poorly with smaller items.

2. The fixed speed of the motor may not be ideal and would not be (easily) adjustable.

3. The capacity would be small.

I think for not much more money you can probably find a corona type mill which would work better.

If you're serious about milling your own grain, get a grain mill. Especially if you're doing full mashes. Grinder type mills kill your husk and you get stuck sparges. Mine cost me about 200$, but I made my own hopper and upgraded to the stainless steel rollers.

http://www.crankandstein.net/

96$ if you don't want stainless and can make your own hopper.

If you're too cheap the corona is ok, but for less than twice the price you get a much more superior product. I've heard good things about the barley crusher too.

Back