New to the forum, new to brewing. Two questions reguarding brew day.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrostedMug

Reaction score
Hello all. I finally got a brew kit (Northern Brewer Basic) and plan on starting my first brew tomorrow. I've been reading up for the last week so I feel pretty prepared for tomorrow. I have a few questions however.

I plan on sanitizing my fermenting equipment with the provided star san. From my understanding it seem like filling my fermenter bucket with the solution, submerging all of the other tools is the best way to sanitize. My questions are:

How long should I let everything soak in the star san for? Is overnight overkill? Should I sanitize only while the wort cools? Also, how should I make sure I sanitize the entire bucket all the way to the top? Should I make enough star san to fill to the brim? Or should I just make sure I wet the top few inches of the bucket?

Also, I am using a Witbier kit from NB. I've read that using a strainer to take out the orange peel/coriander seed is the way to go. When would be the best time to strain these particles out? Should I strain while pouring the cooled wort into the primary fermenter?

Sorry if these topics have been covered 937339 times. I just wanted to get some opinions first-hand. Thanks very much.

I fill my bucket about a quarter to half way up with the starsan and water solution, i soak the tools I'm going to use for maybe 5 minutes, or however long it takes me to get ready to start to brew. Anything I'm not using right away I leave in the solution just for precautionary measures, and then when I'm done, to sanitize the bucket, i rotate the bucket making sure the solution hits all the sides, and i do that a couple of times then dump it out......I haven't had any problems with infection or anything like that so this seems to be working for me

overnight may be overkill, unless you plan on starting your boil as soon as you wakeup. According to starsan, you only need to submerge everything for 2 minutes. The problem comes when you take the tools out.

I have also read on these forums that 30 seconds is usually enough.

Just make sure the StarSan comes in contact with your equipment as close to when you need it as possible.

That said, it is really hard to infect a beer. Although I would be the first one to over-sanitize ALL of my stuff, based on what i have read on these forums, I think that a what was said by pattycakes is all you really need to do.

I put all my stuff in a 5 gallon bucket, filled half full with star-san solution. I do this while I'm chilling, as nothing needs to be sanitized until post boil.

Back