Zymurgy's 100% Brett Belgian White

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrooze

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed this recipe? It sounds great to me! I'm wondering how long I would leave this beer in primary. Any help would be appreciated.

Batch Size: 5.25 gal
OG: 1.053

Ingredients
6.5# 2-row malt
1.5# wheat malt
1.0# 10L Munich malt
1.0# acidulated malt
0.5# Naked Golden Oats
6.4oz flaked barley

Mash at 151F.

Boil 90 min

18g Mt. Hood 6%AA (FWH)
5g ground coriander (20 min)
5g ground orange peel (20 min)
10g aroma hop of your choice (10 min)
5g fresh citrus zest (5 min)

10g dry hop of your choice (secondary)

Brettanomyces yeast of your choice

Directions
Standard infusion mash. Rest till conversion, re-circulate and sparge with water at 169F. Aroma hop of your choice. Can go American citrusy or German noble hop. Dry hop for some citrus or to add more aromatics.

So, again, has anyone brewed this? If so, what brett strain did you use and how long was it in primary?

I've never brewed this recipe, but 100% Brett beers follow pretty much the same timeline as sacch beers. Maybe a little slower to take off initially, but you should be good with a 3 week primary or whatever you usually do. Left at room temps, the flavor might continue to very slowly evolve after that, but I think mostly at the expense of the aromatics.

Sounds interesting. Brett likes to fermented hot (80s).

I hear lots of folks say Brett ferments just like Sacc, but from my experience, it takes longer. My all-brett beers have generally taken between 10 and 20 weeks. They start off fast, but take a long time to finish.

Sounds like I need to try it out and just see how long it takes me! :) I appreciate the feedback guys.

Sounds like I need to try it out and just see how long it takes me! :) I appreciate the feedback guys.

Just wondering if you ever tried this one out. I have it in primary with a mix of Brett L&B. Curious what hops you used.

I haven't brewed it yet, but have full intentions to do so. I just ordered a pack of Brett L and Brett B from Farmhouse Brewing Supply that I'll use for this one. I've got some Hersbrucker, Pearle, and Tett so I'll probably use the Hers in the boil and some Pearle and Tett as dry hop. Maybe some cascade as well as a second dh. :)

Cool. I used some EKG in the boil but I'm not sure what I'll dry hop with. Probably some more EKG. It does smell pretty awesome already. I'm excited for this one!

How long have you had it and how long are you going to keep it in primary?

I also have a bunch of Saaz on hand that I may use... And in early Oct my dad's coming to visit his new twin granddaughter andalusia bring some fresh hops from his harvest. I may fresh hop this one! :rockin:

I have only had it in primary two weeks so far. I normally keep my beers in for around four weeks but i guess it just depends on when it hits it's FG. I bet Saaz would go well with this, but then again I love Saaz. What kind of hops will your dad be bringing you?

He's got cascade, Hallertau, and Willamette on the vines. I guess what he'll bring will depend on what he gets a chance to harvest! :D I think some fresh Hallertau in the boil and fresh cascade in the dry hop would be awesome.

I'm finally getting around to brewing this one. I decided to tryout my new 15gallon kettle and do a 10.5gallon batch. Over the last few weeks I've built up a starter of Wyeast Brett L. and Brett B. I'll pitch that into half the wort. The other half will get WLP400. The fresh hops didn't work out, so I'm bittering with Pearle and Magnum, flavor with cascade, and dry hop with Falconer's Flight. Ought to be tasty! :mug:

I really enjoyed this beer. I used Brett B & L from Wyeast and got some awesome flavors/aromas. One thing that surprised me was that i really enjoyed it more while it was fresh instead of aging it for a bit. I guess I am just used to aging my beers that have brett added to secondary. This was my first 100% Brett beer. All in all i would brew this again.

MrOrange said:
I really enjoyed this beer. I used Brett B & L from Wyeast and got some awesome flavors/aromas. One thing that surprised me was that i really enjoyed it more while it was fresh instead of aging it for a bit. I guess I am just used to aging my beers that have brett added to secondary. This was my first 100% Brett beer. All in all i would brew this again.

Thanks.
I'll give it a shot!

Back