which class to beer in competition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glorifiedbusdriver

Reaction score
I have brewed an amazing beer from a recipe off of Zymurgy or Brew (I can't remember which one it was) called Dragon's Milk. This is the first time I'm thinking about entering in a competition (Kentucky State Fair) and I don't know which class to enter it in. Here is the recipe:

11.5 lbs. Marris Otter
1.5 lbs. Munich
10 oz. Chocolate
8 oz. 120L caramel
8 oz. 80L caramel
8 oz. flaked oats
4 oz. wheat malt
.75 oz. Columbus 12% AA 60 minutes
.25 oz. Fuggles 4.5% AA 10 minutes
Wyeast American Ale 1056
1 oz. oak chips soaked in bourbon overnight

The oak chips were added to the secondary 1 week before bottling.

OG: 1.075
FG: 1.021
bitterness: 27
color: 31
alcohol 7.1 by volume

I don't know whether to send this in as a robust porter or an oak aged beer. Which class should this be under or submit it to both?

If the oak flavor is heavy then its definitely a wood aged beer. If its pretty light then it could go as a porter or both.

Honestly I would enter it under both just to see how it gets judged.

I agree with Bokonon on all points, IF the judging will be to BJCP or AHA standards. Since oak is not in style for a Robust Porter, only enter it if the oak is barely there.

I don't smell or taste the oak very much, but the bourbon is definitely there. It isn't overpowering though. It costs the same to enter one beer or 10 so I'll just enter it in both classes. The worst thing that could happen is they say my beer doesn't represent the style. I just hope they don't say it tastes like crap.

Latest posts

Back