Homebrewers Solving Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracehelton

Reaction score
I recently had a house flood which trashed my indoor brew room. The flood was unrelated to my brewing setup but it put me out of commission regardless. I had to remove my hot water heater for the contractor to do some drywall repair at that location. I have two daughters (1 yr and 2 yrs) and I doubt they would be as willing as I am to bathe/shower in cold water. So I had this idea, home brewers are typically smart cookies and I'm sure there are problems unrelated to brewing that we have all overcome. My question is, how many of those problems would have been more of a pain in the a$$ if you weren't a home brewer? What are some things you have fixed that would be out of the grasp of the non-brew civilian population? Here was my fix to not having a water heater. Its pretty simple to you and I but I bet your average joe bud light consumer would have the means to solve a problem like this. They might have had a turkey fryer to boil water on, but I doubt they would have an immersion chiller (now my heat exchanger in the opposite fashion in which we use them for).
Cold water in, Hot water out.

Hot water up to my bathroom for enjoyable bath time for the little ones.
Has anyone else had similar experiences??

I hope they include this for your dad of the year nomination. :) That's cool!

I use my homebrew experience of cleaning with oxiclean to clean coffee travel mugs that always seem to have the stubborn coffee stains even after running in the dishwasher. An hour soak with hot oxiclean and they sparkle like new. Sorry that's the best I can think of right now and I didn't think a picture was worth it.

Wow.. That's great. This is definitely worth applying in times of emergencies.

Back