Top vs. Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eljefebrewing

Reaction score
Help me make the call on this hydrometer reading. It's at 60F, and I'm going to say 1.048. However, I can't get rid of all the bubbles at the top of the jar. I spun the hydrometer to get rid of any bubbles underneath it. Do the ones at the top interfere with your reading, or are they just a pain in the arse because it makes it harder to see the lines on the hydrometer?

600.jpg

When I get that, I blow down into the sample to clear some bubbles from the surface. You can also slightly overfill your sample container so that when you put your hydrometer in it overflows. That'll flush the bubbles off the surface.

Ask these guys, I think they have the bubble figured out.

FILM_Beerfest2.jpg

:drunk:

Just let the sample sit for awhile (eventually the bubbles will go away). Another option is to roll up a piece of paper towel is it will fit inside of tube. Take the hydrometer and it push it down, which will force the liquid up, then remove the hydrometer. This will lower the level of the liquid, but the bubbles will "cling" to the sides. Wipe them off with a paper towel and repeat.

It sounds a lot more complicated in words, but it literally takes 2-3 seconds to get rid of most of them.

Back