Northern Brewer vs. Midwest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My one complaint about recipe kits in general is that they don't tell you what is in them on the web page. They just describe the beer it makes. I would like to know what kinds of grain they put in there as well as what type of hops, they don't nescesarilly need to say how much of each on the web page, but an idea of what is in them helps me want to buy them more.

Also Northern Brewer makes their own malt extract, or has someone make malt extract for them, it is much less expensive than anywhere else I have been able to find, and it is of high quality. I don't do as much extract as I used to, and have not purchased extract from them in a while, but I highly reccomend it.

Donasay said:
My one complaint about recipe kits in general is that they don't tell you what is in them on the web page. They just describe the beer it makes. I would like to know what kinds of grain they put in there as well as what type of hops, they don't nescesarilly need to say how much of each on the web page, but an idea of what is in them helps me want to buy them more.

Northern Brewer does actually list all ingredients in the kit. If you click on "Inventory" the list is in there. They also list the recommended fermentation temps, which is helpful if you have concerns about that stuff.

I exclusively use NB, so I can't really say which is better, but I've been very pleased with their product and their customer service. Plus, they now have flat rate shipping which helps for those big orders.

my first kit was a northern brewer IPA kit, which was great, but now ive moved within 15 minutes of the Midwest Supplies warehouse where i can walk in and pick stuff up, ive done two Midwest kits and they are also great kits but now im putting together my own recipes so Midwest has its advantage for me because i can just go there.

I have used both for AG kits and both were fine, I do like the fact that NB lists the grains so I can add a little to pad my efficiency. Also NB is fast, if you get your order in by noon it ships the same day. For me that means order one day its here the next.

Have never ordered from NB but Midwest has been great so far. I use Midwests catalog as sort of an ingredient bible to plan my upcoming brew and drool at what I need to order next. Although they are runniing a 7.99$ shipping special at NB right now so I may have to order from them.

Donasay said:

Also Northern Brewer makes their own malt extract, or has someone make malt extract for them, it is much less expensive than anywhere else I have been able to find, and it is of high quality. I don't do as much extract as I used to, and have not purchased extract from them in a while, but I highly reccomend it.

As far as I can tell, the extract they sell is made by Breiss and they repackage it.

unless you live near one or the other, I would say to just check out all the web sites NB, Midwest, More Beer, AHS and the countless others. Many stores sell different equip at different prices. and with the hop situation you may need to check out and even place several different orders to get what you need. plus you'll be supporting every store out there.

Back