Searching for yeast that creates the bubble gum flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuhndog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Which yeasts both for Wyeast and White Labs creates that bubble gum flavor?

You may think I'm weird...but I love it in Belgian Tripels. It's been my latest kick and I would like to make my own come fall.

Also - is the bubble gum flavor synonomous with banana or is it seperate? When I look at yeast characteristics/flavor I see clove, banana, fruity...etc. Is the bubble gum flavor under those or is it something that is a byproduct of something that has gone bad?

Thank you.

I got "bubblegum" from wlp500. The website talks about fruity flavors like plum, but I fermented it cool (under 65 degrees) and got total bubblegum.

I got intense bubblegum with wlp400 on a dubbel (not really a dubbel with that yeast but the base recipe was a dubbel). The OG was 1.068 and I attribute the smell to the use of sugar, highly fermentable wort and high presence of alcohol. It went from 1.068 to 1.004 in 4 days.

WLP500 gives SOME of the juicyfruit/gum to the beer, but it's much less pronounced. I prefer the WLP500, actually.

I've not used it, but Safbrew T-58 is listed as producing bubblegum at higher temps. WLP550 and Wyeast 1388 (Belgian Strong) will. You might be able to force more of this character if you ferment warm and underpitch.

I got A LOT of bubble gum from WLP500. After that, I only use WYeast 3787 for Belgians.

I got A LOT of bubble gum from WLP500. After that, I only use WYeast 3787 for Belgians.

At what temps? How long did you let it sit? My dubbel sat in primary for a good 4 weeks, crashed for a week, then another 10 days in keg. It's noticeable but no more than any other dubbel I've had.

At what temps? How long did you let it sit? My dubbel sat in primary for a good 4 weeks, crashed for a week, then another 10 days in keg. It's noticeable but no more than any other dubbel I've had.

Initial fermentation was in the mid 60's but a hydro sample wasn't "Belgian" enough so I raised it to the low 70's for a few days. The bubble gum didnt fade before the beer was gone.

Initial fermentation was in the mid 60's but a hydro sample wasn't "Belgian" enough so I raised it to the low 70's for a few days. The bubble gum didnt fade before the beer was gone.

Yeah, me too. I fermented cool, and then I had major bubblegum. I raised it, aged it, kegged it. It never did get rid of any of the bubblegum and turn into the complex plum flavors I wanted. I dumped most of the keg at the end. It was a tripel that was WAY too bubblegum for me.

Not sure if this is super relevant because it relates to a batch of cider I made vice beer, but I dry-pitched a packet of nottingham ale yeast into a 2.5 gallon batch of 1.065 O.G. cider, fermented at an unintentionally high 72-74 F, and ended up with a very strong bubblegum flavor.

I think a lot of it has to do with alcohol presence, personally. Again, I got bubblegum from WLP400 with a 1.068 Dubbel whereas every Wit I've done with that yeast was banana/clove.

I made a Belgian Blonde with WLP500 and it has a clove note, but I wouldn't say any bubblegum. It was about a 1.048 OG.

I get a decent amount of bubblegum up front from 3726, although this transitions in earthy spice in the finish. You might still find some on the shelves.

Back