First Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksubowman

Reaction score
I am getting ready to try my first lager. Any suggestions on a really good lager Icahn impress my friends and family with? I like the clean tasting lagers, but need one that's got something extra to it. I saw a dry hopped lager. Anyone ever done a dry hoped lager?

Try a nice dry Pilsner. You can make it with European or American lager yeast depending on what you're looking for. Since this is your first lager, I'd say try something simpler at first and get your process down before attempting any expensive or complicated recipes. You can make a damn fine lager with just one malt, one hop, and some dry lager yeast. I would suggest using Pilsner malt, a noble hop variety (e.g. Hallertau, Tettnang, Spalter, etc.), and W-34/70 dry lager yeast. Another suggestion I might make is to brew a malty lager if you're not into dry/bitter character of a German Pils for example. You can use Pils/Munich malt base for that, dial back the IBUs, and still keep the other ingredients the same.

Do you have a fermentation fridge, or any means to control fermentation temperature?
Do you have means to lager the beer once fermentation is complete?

I've got a fridge to use. I like the idea of a pilsner. I may try a kit for the first one. Any suggestions on a good kit lager?

I've got a fridge to use. I like the idea of a pilsner. I may try a kit for the first one. Any suggestions on a good kit lager?

Not sure; I don't brew any kits. I know both Northern Brewer and Midwest Supplies have great kits though.

Or...if you're going to brew all-grain, there isn't much reason to get a kit for a Pilsner. Try this - it's a relatively simple single infusion mash dry Pils with moderately high noble hop bitterness and character, but not overpowering.

Grain:
100% Pils malt (Weyermann is my favorite)

Mash at 147 for 90 minutes
Sparge to pre-boil volume

Boil:
28 IBU Hallertau at 90 minutes (first wort hop if you want)
6 IBU Hallertau at 20 minutes
2 IBU Hallertau at 10 minutes
Irish moss at 10 or 15 minutes

Fermentation:
Cool wort to 48F, pitch two packets of Saflager W-34/70 (rehydrated) and set fermentation temperature for 48-50F. Ferment for 2 weeks or so until most activity is gone. Raise temperature or take carboys out of fride to about 62-66F for 2 weeks. Cold crash, keg or bottle, then lager for about 2 months at ~35F.

(This is my proven lager process. Some suggest doing a 3 day diacetyl rest before the end of primary fermentation. I've had great results with my method and moderate luck with the 3 day rest method. Do whichever method you want.)

Carbonate to 2.5 to 2.8 vol CO2, serve.

I just threw this together on the spot, so I'm willing to work with you to adjust to your liking. Also, I would use some brewing software to figure out the amounts from the percentages/IBUs I gave to fit your setup, efficiency, and process.

TB

That seems simple enough. I love doing all grain. I gonna give this recipe a try. I've been a little fun shy about venturing away from the kits, but now is as good of a time as any.

Back