Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, thanks again to all who coordinated. It was nice meeting some of the bunch. May all your brew days be prosperous!

Good show by all - thanks again for making this so easy to participate in.

My father was quite excited to get to go pick the stuff up - and was very pleased with how easy it was. Twogunz - he mentioned specifically how he enjoyed meeting you and getting to chat. Also was impressed by the willingness of everyone to help get all loaded up.

See you all in Round 8.

Another excellent round in the name of homebrew! We've definitely got a good thing going and good people doing it.

Thank you to everyone who made the pickup go quickly and easy. Really great we only had the grain at the pickup location for under 3 days. Really helps ensure we are welcome for future deliveries/pickups! See everyone in round 8!

Thanks for all the effort guys. I probably wont see you in the 8th round I've got plenty of grain for a while now.

I probably wont see you in the 8th round I've got plenty of grain for a while now.

You say that now...

Seriously - STELLA job showing up and grabbing grain early. This really shows your commitment to keeping a good relationship with Busch Products. I really appreciate it.

Pulled off a triple brew day yesterday.

BoPils Lager, Roggenbier and Witbier Making room for grain haha

Man, on the drive back all I could think about was how awesome all the hops smelled and what I wanted to brew with them. Making a hoppy cream ale with hallertau and mt. hood right now...

Also, Cidah I'll stop by the keg place on monday and see what they got. I just had a keg lid crack (old plastic one) so I need a few new kegs anyways.

Nice work fellas...just got my loot from my brother's house. Truck is packed and heading back to Albany. What will I brew first???

Everyone should post what their first batches were or will be.

image-3678513596.jpg

image-4120635821.jpg

image-2360804277.jpg

Right after pickup I brewed an "American black ale" (for lack of a better description) with summit, centennial and columbus.

mine will be my house english mild (slightly modified version of mild mannered ale from HBT). Basic brew with MO and fuggles, but its so tasty.

CidahMastah said:
bellinmi88 - do you have any pricing information? (even if partial or general)

I missed this...

Brand new 3 gallon $91
Brand new 5 gallon $104
Brand new 5 gallon with rubber base $115

Oi, I think I might be out of the next buy but I will still help out. Just looked at my inventory and I have about 950 lbs of grain, and about 17 lbs of hops. I should be good for awhile.

jeffb418 said:
Oi, I think I might be out of the next buy but I will still help out. Just looked at my inventory and I have about 950 lbs of grain, and about 17 lbs of hops. I should be good for awhile.

Well, you can always store some at my place!! ;)

I think I asked this question before but can't seem to find the answer. How much grain will a typical 5 or 6 gallon round bucket hold? And i that the best method for storing it?

haha awesome. where does one keep 950lbs of grain?

Grain silo ;) haha just kidding.

I have all of it in my basement. I have 6x 25lb cap dog food containers for my base malts. Then about 8 rubber maid containers for some. Then 2 big rubber maid containers that fit each about 5-6 full bags (each bag is stored in a xxl ziplock bag). Some of the rubbermaid containers contain vac sealed bags with about 6lbs in each.

nice, I have to get more storage. I have 3 bags of base malt just sitting in the basement at the moment. Although its off the floor and we keep the humidity low, I need more rubbermaid bins for it

nice, I have to get more storage. I have 3 bags of base malt just sitting in the basement at the moment. Although its off the floor and we keep the humidity low, I need more rubbermaid bins for it

Yeah I have to keep everything in a ziplock to protect from moisture, then the rubbermaid containers keep the mice out. Every so often I find one down there. I leave a small pile of grain on the floor in a place i pass every few days, if I notice it chewed up I put traps down.

Looks like I'm going to brew my "Good Looking Blonde Ale" this week if I get the time. Going to be bringing alot of brew to alot of summer events, so really need to get cranking!

jeffb418 said:
Grain silo ;) haha just kidding.

I have all of it in my basement. I have 6x 25lb cap dog food containers for my base malts. Then about 8 rubber maid containers for some. Then 2 big rubber maid containers that fit each about 5-6 full bags (each bag is stored in a xxl ziplock bag). Some of the rubbermaid containers contain vac sealed bags with about 6lbs in each.

Jeff
Where do you get the xxl ziplock bags?

Also, I predict you will be in the next group buy for something.

Jeff
Where do you get the xxl ziplock bags?

Also, I predict you will be in the next group buy for something.

haha +1

I use the largest size dog food bins from walmart on rollers as well (they hold a whole bag or more comfortably) - they work great. They used to be like $21, but now they are like $26 I think. I also use brownstien containters HDPE 55g plastic drums to store the overstock I have (1 barrell holds 4 55g bags, in the bag).

As many have said I think the key is to get it off the floor and/or in a container to prevent mice form getting it (cool room with ow to no light and low humidity if possible). For base malt you can leave it in the sack it came in while you use it, it should stay fresh that way until you get through it. For all the specialty grains that may take longer to use, you want to make sure they have more protection. For me that means a ziplock bag, or plastic lined grain bag, and then into the dog food bins. That has worked exceptionally well for me.

Not sure how much grain I have, but I know i will be going through it! haha. I already know that I will be looking for at least 3 bags (which really means 6 haha). I have been brewing a lot of longer aging brews and I think that is helping me chew through grain. Since we brew, and can't touch those for a while so we brew again.

Just had one of the Kate the Great imperial stouts (twogunz that is the blue cap with a K that i gave you). Really getting close to being ready, I would say another month. I really enjoyed it.

I am using homer buckets to store my grain.

There has been a lot of discussion on the boards here about them being food grade and the general conclusion is they are for dry goods. And I have never seen an issue with them. I think the only reason they are not rated food grade is because they are dyed.

I have a basement full of them now.

I like them because they are cheap, have a rubber seal around the lid so they are air tight and easy to manage/stack.

They make tracking inventory easy too, just throw the bucket on the scale.

CidahMastah said:
Just had one of the Kate the Great imperial stouts (twogunz that is the blue cap with a K that i gave you). Really getting close to being ready, I would say another month. I really enjoyed it.

Mmm, I'm looking forward to it. Just give me the word when you have one that's prime.

This conversation about Kate the Great gives me an idea. Does anyone in this group do beer swaps? If not, we should start one. Anyone down for that?

Hey do any of you guys (local guys) have wyeast 1469? I was considering using it for a bitter, but don't have a bunch of stuff to buy from an online seller so I was trying to find it locally. They don't have it at sunset.

If not no sweat, maybe I will put off that brew.

CidahMastah said:
Hey do any of you guys (local guys) have wyeast 1469? I was considering using it for a bitter, but don't have a bunch of stuff to buy from an online seller so I was trying to find it locally. They don't have it at sunset.

If not no sweat, maybe I will put off that brew.

I don't have it but I'm wondering if you've been to sunset the last couple of days. They were supposed to get a big yeast shipment in. I'm looking for a good yeast for a wit and they didn't have anything early last week.

brian4508 said:
I don't have it but I'm wondering if you've been to sunset the last couple of days. They were supposed to get a big yeast shipment in. I'm looking for a good yeast for a wit and they didn't have anything early last week.

I bought the last vial of WLP400 a couple weeks ago!

I was there yesterday and no shipment in for sure (well not of yeast anyway.)

I bought one of the wit strains as well, but that was a probably a month ago (it is currently fermenting!).

I just called EJ and he has a 3944 he is holding for me. I forgot to ask but I will see if he has the 1469 when I get there later this afternoon.

brian4508 said:
I just called EJ and he has a 3944 he is holding for me. I forgot to ask but I will see if he has the 1469 when I get there later this afternoon.

Now that I think of it, wasn't that a limited release? (1469)

From what Ed has told me, he only carries the most popular stuff and special orders all the rest. In addition he raised his yeast prices to $10/pack.

jeffb418 said:
From what Ed has told me, he only carries the most popular stuff and special orders all the rest. In addition he raised his yeast prices to $10/pack.

I know he is pricey, but I need a wit yeast and it's easier than online. That's the only problem with sunset is inconsistent stock. I find myself buying things I MAY need in the future just so I have them...

Latest posts

Back