Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just at the Sunset near me and they had crap for yeast. The girl told me she just took over the store ( even though I've seen her there for a couple of months) and she went through the yeast and most were outdated. Some were as much as 6 months outdated! Not sure what she's going to carry. It's a real pain though since she's the closest to me - 26 miles btw.

I know he is pricey, but I need a wit yeast and it's easier than online. That's the only problem with sunset is inconsistent stock. I find myself buying things I MAY need in the future just so I have them...

I do the same and it is annoying. I have talked to the guy there about it. They seem annoyed that people buy them out of 1056 regularly. So they raised the price on just tha yeast packet to $10 - wtf. You are a brew store, if people keep buying 1056/ wlp001 then get more in stock!

This is why I often try to buy yeast online way ahead of time, but it is inconvenient. Who wants to plan 3-4 months ahead for a brew schedule? I keep telling them that I would buy yeast from them if they would ever have what I want in stock haha. Hell I just bought 4 strains a few weeks ago for my 4 belgians starters!

I don't understand that place...

$100 single body co2 regulator... etc. It is clear they don't know how to price competitively and have interest in the "green" part of the shop first and foremost - too bad

Do we have to open a S.M.A.S.H. home brew store?!

Went to sunset today and the guy said the yeast shipment will be in tomorrow. I was told all the yeast arrives at the syr store and is then partitioned out to the one near rochester. We'll see if it actually comes in tomorrow...

Oh, and I now realize I am out of 2-row right after the grain buy is over, having not got any bags. Really screwed this one up... :cross:

bierhaus15 said:
Went to sunset today and the guy said the yeast shipment will be in tomorrow. I was told all the yeast arrives at the syr store and is then partitioned out to the one near rochester. We'll see if it actually comes in tomorrow...

Oh, and I now realize I am out of 2-row right after the grain buy is over, having not got any bags. Really screwed this one up... :cross:

He told me a week + ago that I would be in a week ago, and that he isn't the one that orders it, the Rochester store does and he gets what he gets. Frustrating. Wish there were competent stores and employees out there.

He told me a week + ago that I would be in a week ago, and that he isn't the one that orders it, the Rochester store does and he gets what he gets. Frustrating. Wish there were competent stores and employees out there.

I'll second that. There is a one decent guy in there that is helpful when I go in. The others are concentrated on the "green" area and have no idea how to brew a beer.

We have 3 stores in the Rochester area. I have been to 2 of them and get the same impression as everyone here that the focus is on the green side. Their web site states "We guaranty the lowest price both in store and on-line. If you find a cheaper price we will match or beat it." 10 bucks for 1056? Would be interesting to call them out on this. $5.99 at midwest.

Got anything interesting to trade? :D

Haha I love that movie!

I really never thought I would find myself hording ingredients to make beer. It's really kind of funny when I think about how much beer I give away!

Funny you guys bring up starting a home brew store. I've thought of this many times but really don't have the business sense to do it on my own. The thought of walking into a store that caters just to homebrewing gives me the shivers. Instead i'm stuck going to the corner of a store hoping they have what I need and scrounging to find it. The closest REAL homebrew store is traditions in Buffalo and that's an hour away.

I have all sorts of ideas on how to run a killer HB store. Problem is that I don't believe there is enough money in it to make a good living. Working two jobs is not an interest of mine.

A brewing coop of sorts is an interesting idea as well, but you still need people to be there, have a building, etc. If you sell at cost or slightly above how do you keep the lights on? :D

I bet if we keep brainstorming collectively about it we could figure it out. Certainly would not be a waste of time throwing ideas around. :mug:

Virtual Coop much like we did the group buy.

The problem with opening a brew shop in Central New York is there is probably not a big enough market for it.

If the demand was high enough I am sure Wren would have gone full time by now or Sunset would have expanded their section to accommodate.

The problem with opening a brew shop in Central New York is there is probably not a big enough market for it.

If the demand was high enough I am sure Wren would have gone full time by now or Sunset would have expanded their section to accommodate.

The best chance at it would be an nfp. However that still means low$$ Also, would everyone stop building rigs and buying them? Or buying grain that is marked up instead of buying in a group buy?

I think what we have now is about as cheap as it gets (free administration too ha) :D

Maybe we get a slurpee machine and hold our favorite yeast strains on tap! haha

I think we just need to convince someone to open a small brewshop in their garage that just sells yeast/hops and some emergency replacement parts.

Any volunteers?

Question for those of you with electric setups…

I am THINKING about going electric in the next year or so (planning my system so I can start stockpiling parts when I find a good deal). Currently, I brew 5 gallon batches in 8 gallon pots. However, this too could change in a couple years or so (10, 15, 20?? Who knows). If I purchase 5500W heating elements (figuring I do go bigger in batch size) will this be too much for 5 gallon batches?

I am THINKING about going electric in the next year or so (planning my system so I can start stockpiling parts when I find a good deal). Currently, I brew 5 gallon batches in 8 gallon pots. However, this too could change in a couple years or so (10, 15, 20?? Who knows). If I purchase 5500W heating elements (figuring I do go bigger in batch size) will this be too much for 5 gallon batches?

Well I use electric but I use two heat sticks, a 1500w and 2000w. I use them on the stove with the stove on high, I turn the stove down to about 3/4 after the boil starts and down to about 1/2 after the 30 min mark. So there is 3500w and they cant do it alone.

But I use a 13 gallon pot (next batch with be in a brand new shiny 15 gallon SS pot) so I boil a ton off for a 5 gallon batch. I start with around 8 gallons and boil down to just under 6 in an hour.

I plan to do 5 gallon batches with my 5500W element in a 20 gallon kettle. In my research I found no evidence that there would be any problems. I was careful to mount the element as low as I could. For the 12 gallon batches I do now I believe the 5500W element would be the smallest you want. So it's not overpowering by any means.

Still haven't tested a smaller batch yet. If I'm going to do a brew day why not do a 12 gallon batch? :)

For the work, and if you have pumps etc. all things are pretty much equal for a 5 gallon batch vs. a 10g batch. Except of course that you get double the brew. I would plan for at least 10G capacity

Unless you know you absolutely will never go up to 10G I would plan your system to be capable to brew 10 (or more). I have had a single 5500w element boil about 22-23 gallons of water in a well insulated pot, so that should be all you need for the size you are talking about. You can go smaller but it will just take more time to heat your HLT, BK etc. I wouldn't go less than 5500w unless you have a compelling reason to (i.e. don't have access to 30amp breaker, live in an apt and must use 120v outlet, etc.). So go big unless you can't.

HAHA - another to the ebrewing ranks! :D

I wouldn't go less than 5500w unless you have a compelling reason to (i.e. don't have access to 30amp breaker, live in an apt and must use 120v outlet, etc.)
:D

That is exactly the reason I use two heatsticks. I bought a GFI extension cord to run one from another room that I know is on a different circuit.

But I am looking more and more at the 30a 220v outlet on my dryer and what it would take to build a cord to reach the kitchen. It would only be about a 30' run.

That is exactly the reason I use two heatsticks. I bought a GFI extension cord to run one from another room that I know is on a different circuit.

But I am looking more and more at the 30a 220v outlet on my dryer and what it would take to build a cord to reach the kitchen. It would only be about a 30' run.

If you use the GE 50 amp breaker (~50$) set up it is really easy to put in the little panel and use the 3 prong from your dryer outlet as the connection. You can plug or unplug the GFI box to swap in/out your brew power cord. Lot's of people on HBT have done this. Most recently Jeffb418 did this.

If you use the GE 50 amp breaker (~50$) set up it is really easy to put in the little panel and use the 3 prong from your dryer outlet as the connection. You can plug or unplug the GFI box to swap in/out your brew power cord. Lot's of people on HBT have done this. Most recently Jeffb418 did this.

I am going to have to look into this. I get nervous about one of my heat sticks because the cord gets pretty warm. Hasn't been a problem so far and it is in GFCI, but still.

I am going to have to look into this. I get nervous about one of my heat sticks because the cord gets pretty warm. Hasn't been a problem so far and it is in GFCI, but still.

It is probably the most cost effective, safest solution to your problem I have seen to date. Vetted by P-J himself. I am not electrician so if you have questions about it you can ping him, or search one of his threads. THere is a diagram to for the wiring floating around that I passed to Jeff when he did his build, I am sure he still has it - or I can help you find it.

Heat sticks make me very nervous. Then again I rock climb and people think that is crazy. To each their own.

I don't mind going big (as I know I will). I just wanted to make sure that a 5500w element won't scorch a 5 gallon batch for some odd reason. I can do the electric setup in the next few months or the larger pots. Between the two (short term) I would prefer to brew double 5 gallon batches, electrically!

I don't mind going big (as I know I will). I just wanted to make sure that a 5500w element won't scorch a 5 gallon batch for some odd reason. I can do the electric setup in the next few months or the larger pots. Between the two (short term) I would prefer to brew double 5 gallon batches, electrically!

Just be sure to get the ULWD elements as in Kal's build. You won't have any problems.

I think I'm gonna upgrade my keggle to electric but I need to find someone that can weld SS.

I want to have a 2" tri-clamp ferrule added to my keggle so I can use this (http://www.brewershardware.com/2-Tri-Clover-X-1-NPS-Element-Adapter.html) to easily remove the element for cleaning. Also will allow me to use a 2" tri-clamp cap and still use it for propane if I want to save time (since my burner is a jet burner).

Anyone know of someone who can do this locally?

Yes I do he is a member on HBT and he made me a custom RIMS tube from SS and a custom false bottom. I will send his member name shortly.

bellinmi88 said:
Yes I do he is a member on HBT and he made me a custom RIMS tube from SS and a custom false bottom. I will send his member name shortly.

I think his member name is mikelikesit2001 or something like that.

Ok so at this rate let's just skip the homebrew store and buy some property and start a hop farm with an on site yeast bank!

Mparsons327 said:
Ok so at this rate let's just skip the homebrew store and buy some property and start a hop farm with an on site yeast bank!

There was a hop farm for sale in Pompey this spring. Not sure if it is still up for sale. If it had a residence, the wife would have jumped all over it. For some reason, it is her dream (lately) to own a hops farm....I'm not complaining!

So now, she is looking for a house with land south of Syracuse...

I was reading some of the previous posts on yeast and if anyone is so inclined,''Google'' Distilled water yeast storage. I have 6 strains ''stored'' and have great success at propagating them at will with baby food jars and a pressure cooker.

I was reading some of the previous posts on yeast and if anyone is so inclined,''Google'' Distilled water yeast storage. I have 6 strains ''stored'' and have great success at propagating them at will with baby food jars and a pressure cooker.

I too wash my yeast, not sure if you saw the sticky on here or if you are referring to a different method.

In either case, it saves a ton of money. I have used washed yeast that was 1 year old with great results. There is a sticky up about how to do it but I have since simplified the method. I have mason jars that are half full of straight slurry and a chart on how much gram weight to use. Basically I pour off eh distilled water on top, spoon out the yeast, then put distilled water back on top and cap.

With my method there is no need for starters unless you are building up yeast from a new vial. You just scoop it out on brew day into a fermentor and let it come to room temp.

My problem is that I like or appreciate pretty much any style of beer, so I always need a varying yeast selection since I use pretty much all liquid strains. There is always one I don't have

One thing I really wish I had was a sick multi zone controlled fermentation chamber with 3-5 chambers. Right now I have two, but in my current situation I have a lager (50F), witbier (73F) and roggenbier (62F) - I have to resort to my ghetto methods on the witbier with a space heater haha. I was checking out the glycol fermentation method in BYOs project magazine, man that looks cool.

I too wash my yeast, not sure if you saw the sticky on here or if you are referring to a different method.

In either case, it saves a ton of money. I have used washed yeast that was 1 year old with great results. There is a sticky up about how to do it but I have since simplified the method. I have mason jars that are half full of straight slurry and a chart on how much gram weight to use. Basically I pour off eh distilled water on top, spoon out the yeast, then put distilled water back on top and cap.

With my method there is no need for starters unless you are building up yeast from a new vial. You just scoop it out on brew day into a fermentor and let it come to room temp.

My problem is that I like or appreciate pretty much any style of beer, so I always need a varying yeast selection since I use pretty much all liquid strains. There is always one I don't have

Happen to have a copy of this chart? I always make a 1L starter from my stored slury but sounds like I might not need to.

Also you really trust distilled water? I boil water on the stove in a flask and cool but its a PITA for washing yeast.

Latest posts

Back