possible mold??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenLongneck

Reaction score
Hey all,
ive been working on my first beer project, a mac and jacks clone for those farmiliar with the beer. About 2 weeks into primary fermentation, when I am ready to transfer to the secondary carboy, I was looking at the primary with a chef friend of mine who said some white particles developing on the sides of the carboy near the bottom looked like mold. I sanitized with one of those tasteless sanitizers you buy at brewing stores, but then rinsed out the bubbles. Does anyone konw if such white powder is usual, or if theres any way of knowing if the beer is safe? It smells great and Id hate to throw out a perfectly good batch if tahts the case. Thanks

Sounds like a massive case of 'Saccharomyces cerevisiae'. There's no hope!!!! :D

Just kidding. Mold likes to grow on top, not the sides or the bottom. It also likes turning green, white, and fuzzy. It will also smell NASTY. It's probably just trub or yeast particles floating in the suspension. A picture would help us tell if it is infected, if it will easy your worries.

Back