Just Another Brew Day...(Pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking of brewing this again (1.5 years later) and thought I'd use WLP400. Anyone used this yeast with this recipe and care to share your results?

As far as a recipe:
(For 11 gallons)
8# 2-row
9# Flaked Wheat
2# White Wheat Malt

1.25 ounces of Sterlnig Hops at 60 minutes (I just use whatever clean bittering hop I can find since it plays such a minimal role)

6-7 ounces fresh orange zest - 10 minutes
2 ounces of freshly crushed (pulverized) coriander - 10 minutes
1-2 Tbsp of crushed black pepper - 10 minutes
4 chamomile tea bags - 10 minutes

OG - 1.048
IBU - Somewhere around 17-18

Brewing this right now, im using tettenanger hops (went with pellets because its all we had, i just tossed them in without a bag at 60 min) The beer totally turned green because of how pale the color is, is the green going to fall out???? Or will it be kind of green?. . . lol

I've recently run across a large batch of meyers lemons and I've been eager to find a good wit recipe to mix them with. Looks like this'll be my next batch! I'm interested in the combination of a highly citrus adjucnt (Meyers Lemons) and black pepper. We'll see how she goes

I've recently run across a large batch of meyers lemons and I've been eager to find a good wit recipe to mix them with. Looks like this'll be my next batch! I'm interested in the combination of a highly citrus adjucnt (Meyers Lemons) and black pepper. We'll see how she goes

Hit an expected OG of around 1.052 this past Sunday w/no problems whatsoever - used the following grain bill for a 5g batch:

5 lbs 2 row
5 lbs flaked wheat
2 lbs white wheat
1 oz Sterling (pellet)
1 oz crushed Indian coriander seed
4 bags of citrus camomile tea
2 tsp black pepper
Zest of 5 large meyers lemons
1 cup flour/water mix
3rd gen WLP400 Wit yeast pitched @ 75

Currently bubbling away @ 73-74 and smells wonderful!

Kegged this a couple of days ago and all I can say is....wow!

The combination of citrus, spices and lemon zest make this so freakin enjoyable!

Kudos! Yet another into the rotation

Brewed yesterday. Bumped up the OG a bit with an additional pound of two row pale malt for my 5.5 gal batch. Hit my targets...the primary fermentation took off mid-morning :tank:

I brewed this again yesterday. I havent brewed for almost 2 years and during that time this has been by far the most requested beer. I brewed a mild a few weeks ago and my wife said I had to brew this wit. Brew day went great and I hit my numbers exactly. Checked on it this morning and the wlp400 I used was going crazy. Cant wait to get this on tap.

I've brewed this several times now...it is always interesting to see how people react to the pepper. Some love it...some don't. SWMBO & I love it...so it stays in the mix :)

I want to make a good rAsp beer for SWMBO. Do you guys thing this would be a good one to try?
And would I keep the orange/lemon in or replace it with the raspberry? Any advice would be cool

This is the recipe I was asking if rice hulls are necessary. Thanks!

Yeah...the flour is just to insure the beer stays hazy, regardless of how long it might sit in a chilled keg or bottle.

I've had judges sample my wits before (in casual company) and even though they still tasted great after several months, they were crystal clear and that can detract from the whole "wit" experience. The flour addition is something I heard on Jamil's show.

As far as a recipe:
(For 11 gallons)
8# 2-row
9# Flaked Wheat
2# White Wheat Malt

1.25 ounces of Sterlnig Hops at 60 minutes (I just use whatever clean bittering hop I can find since it plays such a minimal role)

6-7 ounces fresh orange zest - 10 minutes
2 ounces of freshly crushed (pulverized) coriander - 10 minutes
1-2 Tbsp of crushed black pepper - 10 minutes
4 chamomile tea bags - 10 minutes

OG - 1.048
IBU - Somewhere around 17-18

I poured the spice mixes into the hop bag with 10-15 minutes left in the boil. Then I tied off that bag and let it sink to the bottom of the kettle as I cooled the wort. I wanted to let those spices (and hops) steep for the extra 15 minutes.

I pitched a simple slurry of Safale-05 from a prior batch when the wort hit 76 degrees. A bit warmer than usual, but the higher temp will add some slight esters I want.

Went ahead and used 1/2lb of rice hulls today. Was a good brew day, took me longer than usual but I was really taking my time. Wife has bronchitis(ain't nobody got time for that) so I had nothing else to do. It smelled amazing going into the fermentor. I didn't use the pepper and used t-58 yeast.

20130302_114832.jpg

20130302_132206.jpg

Just brewed this again as a nice hot weather beer. Accidentally doubled the white wheat, we'll see what happens. Used wlp400.

Did a double brew day tonight. wrapping up an IPA as we speak. Reminds me of when we used to fire up the kettle around 8-9pm back when I was fresh out of college and not finish until 3am. Ah, the glory days.

I brewed a 5gal batch of this on Sunday, BIAB method. Stuck to the recipe for the most part.
I only had Halos(like Cuties) for oranges. So smaller and I only had 4 left. Since most have said that 2 large oranges work I thought 4 of these would work, I only ended up with about 1oz of zest.
I left out the black pepper and forgot about the flour mixture.
I also used a combo of WLP550 and WY3522 that I kept from a starter that was used for an Allagash Curieux clone.

I hit 1.048 on the nose, but ended up with a touch under 5gal in the fermenter. I'm pretty sure I know why I got less wort as I'm trying to figure out my BIAB starting water measurements and it seems like oats, flaked wheat, etc soak up more water than other grains.

My IBU's may end up at about 20 by my calculations and it may end up a little dryer since I got about 88% attenuation with the yeast in the Curieux clone.

I'll see how much the orange comes out after a couple weeks. If it's not coming through then I'm thinking if dry hopping with some Summit, any thoguhts? I was thinking of picking up some Summit hops for a Pale Ale anyways so...

Checked on my batch today. Gravity is down to 1.008, which is almost at the very bottom of the Witbier style, but I was exepcting that due to the yeast that I used. Still early, but the hydro has a very nice citrus character to it, I'm wondering if the chamomile is going to show up a little more or if it will stay the way it is, it's there if you know it but I would never guess if doing a blind test.

Unless this changes drastically this is what I expected Blue Moon to be like, honesty it's what I've looked for in a lot of Wit's and almost all that I have tried seem too dry and the citrus character almost non existent. I have tried Ommegang's Witte, Southampton's Double White, and Bell's Winter White and they're all good, just seem underdone on the citrus. So, I'm hoping/wondering if anybody else that's brewed this has seen the orange fade completely?

It's only been a week so at least another 2 - 3 in the bucket then I'll bottle it up.

Slightly off topic, but I noticed on a early post of from this thread someone was using a Home Brew Talk labeled beer glass. Where does a fella get his hands on one of those?

Anybody think this is an infection? The areas that look white are like foam. I poked a couple with my thief and they go away. Just seems like the krausen doesn't want to drop.

1391732854722.jpg

Also gravity is down to .096

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Home Brew mobile app

BierMuncher - just to thank You for all of Your recipes and to let You know that with a bit tweaked, but generally this same Wit recipe I won gold medal on the 3rd Homebrew competition in Budapest Hungary held on March 15th between 28 Wits competing...

here is me bursting with happines
PriMarius_Wit_gold.jpg

a bit tweaked recipe - for a batch of 42L (11Gal) lowered coriander from 60 to 50 grams - and added all spices at flame out - also, mashed for almost 2 hours as my gas miraculously ran out just as the strike water hit its temperature - so had to rush to buy the new propane tank... adjusted water to hit Bru'n water yellow malty specs... OG was a bit higher than called for as my Corona has a mind of its own sometimes - it ended up on 1,055... so the FG was also a bit higher at 1,015... Yeast was WY3944...
it was cooked a month prior to competition, on February 14th - I was planning on cooking that style anyhow so had one more reason when they announced the categories...

here is the recirculation video on that Wit as I was also testing my newly built HERMS - this was the second batch made on that system

[ame="http://youtu.be/wwpH2otKIkM"]Recirculation video[/ame]

thanx again and cheers
PriMarius

Sitting at the hotel and just noticed i read the whole frikkin thing! Will be brewing next week-end...

BierMuncher - just to thank You for all of Your recipes and to let You know that with a bit tweaked, but generally this same Wit recipe I won gold medal on the 3rd Homebrew competition in Budapest Hungary held on March 15th between 28 Wits competing...

here is me bursting with happines
PriMarius_Wit_gold.jpg

a bit tweaked recipe - for a batch of 42L (11Gal) lowered coriander from 60 to 50 grams - and added all spices at flame out - also, mashed for almost 2 hours as my gas miraculously ran out just as the strike water hit its temperature - so had to rush to buy the new propane tank... adjusted water to hit Bru'n water yellow malty specs... OG was a bit higher than called for as my Corona has a mind of its own sometimes - it ended up on 1,055... so the FG was also a bit higher at 1,015... Yeast was WY3944...
it was cooked a month prior to competition, on February 14th - I was planning on cooking that style anyhow so had one more reason when they announced the categories...

here is the recirculation video on that Wit as I was also testing my newly built HERMS - this was the second batch made on that system

Recirculation video

thanx again and cheers
PriMarius

Wow, that's awesome! Great first post to the forums too. I agree, this is a great beer. My mother-in-law has gotten pretty hammered from it a few times because she loved it so much.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398128448.455300.jpg

Just wanted to show a picture of how mine worked out. Only issue I had was a slight over calculation on the water volume. And I used four tea bags instead of two. This has been in the keg for 15 days, great flavor just as you would expect. Wife wants this on tap for the summer, so I am going to order enough for 10 gallons. Thanks BierMuncher, and CHEERS!!

PS: after 7 years of extract brewing I finally mad the plunge. This is my second all grain, my first was BM's Cream of three crops which came out VERY nice, thanks again for the great recipes BierMuncher!!.....

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Should I use a stir plate for this one? I'm using wyeast forbidden fruit. Doing a 5 gallon all grain (first) batch.

just did my first all grain with this recipe. Can say that it went well and... took much longer but it was fun. SG is at 1.044. Target was 1.048 First time using a hydrometer too. is that far off?

bottled and ready to condition! OG: 1.044 FG: 1.011. Finished at 4.3% ABV. Used Wyeast forbidden fruit.

Latest posts

Back