O2 injection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
Just tying up some loose ends befor I start my 10 gal AG system and wanted to learn a little about oxy injection systems. Anyone use these and how do you like it ? What is the setup and how much did it cost you to do it? I am tired of slightly sweet beers and shaking the s--t out of my carboy, let alone 2 of em. Please any info would be appreciated. Cheers

Just bought the one that Williams Brewing sells, haven't used it yet. $36 plus shipping. Includes the regular, the hose, and a big stainless steel stone on the end of a stainless steel rod. Nicest system I could find at the best price. Hooks up to the $8 disposable bottles of O2 you can buy at the Depot.

Haven't tried it yet, but I haven't heard a bad thing about it. Apparently, the wort needs about a minute and a half, maybe two minutes of the bubbles just barely coming to the surface, so the bottle ought to last at least 15 batches. Presumably, a bit more for ten gallons.

I have the same product as the_bird, just got it after new years, so I've only done one batch with it. Like he said, it hooks up to the disposable bottles of O2, they cost about $8 each. Don't crank the gas at 100%, more like 50%, and I found it helped to slowly move the stone around in a big circle around my fermentation bucket. I probably aerated for a minute and a half, from what I read that was longer than necessary, but I was getting a feel for it as it was the first time I used it. I pitched the yeast from a 1 gal starter into a 5.5 gallon batch, which I also had added a bit of yeast nutrient. The starter started pretty quickly, and 36 hours later, it was done. I was using danstar nottingham, and my batch was about 68 degrees, and it was fermenting as if it were about 5 degrees warmer (experience from past brews). I'm glad I bought it, should come in handy for the lagers as well.

Sounds like the same issue I'm having... the slightly sweet beer thing. Many folks have had informative things to say on the oxygenation thread below/ above...

I've called all over town (a very small town, mind you) today and I can't find a source of those "disposable" bottles that the Williams system requires.... can those things be shipped in the mail?

-p

Back