Fermenting to warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankgreenlee

Reaction score
A brewed a Belgian Trippel extract last week. Started fermentation at 65 degrees and slowly rose the temp using a warming belt. Well I got side tracked and forgot to look in on it . I took a temp reading and it read 82 degrees . It tastes ok but just wondering if it is going to be drinkable when it comes time to package

My newbie 2 cents is some Belgians like it a little warmer. I think you will be fine.

What yeast did you use? How fast did it get to 82?

The reason I ask is that if it got too hot too fast it will produce fusels. Some yeasts are more tolerant of the temp range than others. If it did not get to that temp until after a couple of days you should be good.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people that keep telling everyone that it is OK to ferment Belgians hot. They do like to be warmed after the first couple of days but not during the first active part of the fermentation.

One of the first Belgians that I brewed I took the advice that it was OK to ferment hot. I put my brew in a 75 degree room. When fermentation took off the beer got well over 80 by the first day. It tasted like rocket fuel. It took well over a year for the flavor to mellow some but even over two years you can still taste the hot fusels.

It is best to pitch at a lower temp and hold it there for a few days and then ramp up the temp to help it finish.

What yeast did you use?

Unfortunately there are a lot of people that keep telling everyone that it is OK to ferment Belgians hot. They do like to be warmed after the first couple of days but not during the first active part of the fermentation.

One of the first Belgians that I brewed I took the advice that it was OK to ferment hot. I put my brew in a 75 degree room. When fermentation took off the beer got well over 80 by the first day. It tasted like rocket fuel. It took well over a year for the flavor to mellow some but even over two years you can still taste the hot fusels.

It is very much strain dependent, and unfortunately there is not a lot of information out there. Some are OK being hot out the gate (Dupont), others you want to keep lower to minimize fusels (Anchouffe).

beergolf said:
What yeast did you use? How fast did it get to 82?

The reason I ask is that if it got too hot too fast it will produce fusels. Some yeasts are more tolerant of the temp range than others. If it did not get to that temp until after a couple of days you should be good.

It is best to pitch at a lower temp and hold it there for a few days and then ramp up the temp to help it finish.

I did a starter using wyeast Trappist high gravity . I did start fermenting fairly cool ( 68 degrees ) after three days a started warming it up with the warming belt and that's where I sort of forgot about it for two days

I made a starter with a wyeast Trappist high gravity . Started fermentation at 68 degrees for the first two days and then used a warming belt and slowly started warming it up and then kind of forgot to look in on it for two days

You should be good if you held it at 68 for three days. It is mainly aroblem if it gets too too early. Belgian yeasts can take a lot of heat later in the fermentation. I helps the finish up the fermentation.

Back