Need some Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCGrayson

Reaction score
So I'm very new to cider. I made a 1 gallon batch 4 months ago, simple 100% apple juice, champagne yeast, and backsweetened with 1 can of AJ concentrate. Stove top pasteurized and bottled. Had one a week after it was bottled and it was terrible.

Fast forward 4 months and decided to try it again. It's awesome. That being said I want to make it again, but in a 5 gallon batch that I can keg and have on tap.

my question is about the aging. Should I make it the exact same way I did before and just age it in the keg with the backsweetener? should I age it in a carboy with backsweetener? should I age it in a carboy without backsweetener and then backsweeten when I keg it?

Thanks!

If you add the AJ Concentrate and then age, the yeasties will just eat it up unless you use sorbate. It's easy to back sweeten small batches because you can just drink it before it is fermented. With 5 gallons, it's a little more difficult to keep that sweetness all the way through the batch. (Unless you have some friends to knock it out quickly) I've been making a lot of 1 gallon batches lately because I can crash them about 1.010 and just put the jug in the fridge. (then it only takes a couple of days to consume it...it's not carb'd though)

You could always use a non-fermentable back sweetener. But that said, artificial sweeteners are kind of funky in my opinion. A lot of people do use them.

Latest posts

Back