Maple syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thegreatestgray

Reaction score
When is the best time to add maple syrup to a beer flame out, primary, secondary or bottling? I want the maple taste but not over powering to where it over powers the beer. I'm adding it to a nut brown ale.

It won't overpower the beer. Maple syrup ferments almost completely leaving a very subtle taste.

I've added (edit: 16oz of syrup) after I cooled the wort down to 120F, with very mild results. Other people around here have added to secondary or used for bottling-- just be careful on the latter that you get the right amount of sugars.

I made a maple wheat last Fall. It called for 14 oz during the boil (I just added with a few mins left in the boil). I also added 5.2oz during bottling along with 3oz priming sugar. The actual maple taste in the beer was super subtle.

Adding during the boil will not give you any discernible maple flavor. The addition during bottling was what gave it the tiny flavor that it ended up with. If you add it any time before fermentation is complete you probably wont really taste it. For what you are shooting for I'd add similar to what I did at bottling time.

Maple is finicky. Most at at flameout. One thing to consider though low, there is a chance that the Maple Syrup could be carrying nasties in it that's why most people put it in at flameout for some light pasteurization. Also realize you're gonna be adding a very good amount of syrup, anywhere from a quart to a half gallon per 5 gallons

Has anyone tried adding maple extract to your bottling bucket. I've been thinking of doing this and just adjusting to taste. I'm not sure what maple extract tase like compared to real maple. Another option I was thinking was priming with maple syrup. I've heard about bad results with carbonation and not much maple flavor that way either. Anyone try any of these ways. I'm thinking the extract method could be the way to go. But don't know.

Back