Dishwasher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gear101

Reaction score
OK so about a week ago my dishwasher in the townhouse stop working, so I call the guy out and he says it would be 600usd plus labor to replace the pump. Well that is not going to happen, I can get a new one at that price. Fast forward to yesterday and I am pulling the old one out. I get it released from the underside of the top and drop the casters down so it will just side out, now the problem is at the fresh water line is preventing the machine form moving out enough to undo any of the lines from the back, and it needs to come out another four to five inches. I can see the waste water line has plenty to let the machine out, can’t really see the power cord yet but that should just pull right out. The side next to the water line, there is a Lazy Suzanne corner piece, which is all sealed up, can’t get to it threw there. The water line from under the sink is copper and has no extra leading from that side. Only thing I can come up with is that the guy that put this in must of hooked the copper water line to the back of the washer and then ran it to the supply line under the sink and cut it to length there. Now what do I do?

TURN THE POWER SUPPLY OFF TO THE DISHWASHER AT THE BREAKER BOX AND TURN OFF THE HOT WATER SUPPLY TO THE DISHWASHER BEFORE PROCEEDING!

If the previous person ran a hard copper line from the hot water supply at the sink to the dishwasher, then odds are you are going to have to cut it. More than likely, the new dishwashers hot water supply will NOT be in the same spot resulting in having to bend it or mangle it around anyway.

You can pick up a new flexible stainless braided dishwaser supply line from lowes or home depot for pretty cheap. This will make things MUCH easier now and in the future.

Also, I'm hoping he used a compression fitting on the supply valve for the dishwasher which should make it easier to remove the old hard line and install a new one.

Finally, you're 10000% correct that it makes no sense to pay $600 for a pump, when a brand new dishwasher can be purchased for MUCH less than that. I'll never understandy why people do that.

There should be a plate covering the bottom front of the dishwasher. It is normally two pieces that interlock with a total of 4 screws. REmove that and you should be able to acess everything under the washer.

Like s2cmpugh said, make sure all the water and power is off.

Near the front there should be a metal box with a cover on it. Remove the cover and it will expose the wiring. 99% chance that it is actually hard wired and not a plug. You cna undo all the wiring there after making sure the power has been turned off.

You should also be able to disconect or cut both the supply and drain lines from under there as well.

It can be very cramped and sometimes fairly difficult to work with the plumbing under a dishwasher though so if you aren't comfortable with it or comfortable with hard wiring then pay someone to do it. This isn't something to screw around with because even just a tiny dripping leak can go unnoticed for a very long time and cause a ton of damage.

Did you try a DIY or home improvement forum? I'd go there before asking a bunch of drunks!

thanks that help alot, i removed the cover last night to get to get to the casters and didn't really see much, but let me get the flashlight and see what is under there.

there was another panel, and got it off and everything is out. The valve under the sink didn't work so I had to turn off the water at the main, above the hot water heater. Done
thanks again

Back