Testing homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joemc33

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone would be interested and if it's legal to send a beer to a community member that can judge my home brews. I would prefer someone who has judged before. I have a porter with a very slight sherry flavor. It's not bad at all. I think I have a porter with a sherry flavor at least. It was supposed to be the white house honey porter.

I would really appreciate feedback.

You could set up a trade with another member or just send them beer and not expect anything in return but their critique. Also, of you have any local home brew clubs, you can ask them if they'd be willing to taste test.

It's legal to give your beer away to anyone of legal drinking age. You simply cannot sell it.

Perfectly legal and lots of people do it. Just make sure you do your research about the do's and don't's of sending beer!

People do it all the time! We have lots of forum members who are BJCP judges.

If you want honest feedback, complete with official scoresheets, consider entering a competition. Here is a link to current sanctioned BJCP competitions: http://www.bjcp.org/apps/comp_schedule/competition_schedule.php

Getting feedback from experienced judges is a great way to improve your beers.

PS- Incidentally, a "sherry flavor" is a sign of oxidation.

I'll 2nd that! "live yeast culture", "liquid yeast", or "glassware". Just pad it enough with bubble wrap,maybe small box in a bigger box,etc so they don't here it sloshing.

I know of one BJCP judge in the midwest who offers this...can't remember the website. It is like 5 bucks a beer or something like that and he is a National level judge. Actually I am surprised that more BJCP judges aren't "judging" on the side. Contests can be good too but there are so many variables that come into play. I can't tell you how many comps I have entered where the judge isn't even BJCP qualified.

Back