Wine and Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loh777

Reaction score
I just started making beer and am thinking about making wine also. Can I use the same buckets I use to ferment beer in to also ferment wine, or should I have seperate containers. I don't want my wine to taste like beer or my beer to taste like wine.

I guess if the bucket didn't change the beer from one to another, why would it change a wine? I feel like there is nearly as much differences between two very different beers as there are between beer and wine.

My guess is that you'll be good. But I haven't tried. I was thinking of making some wine for my parents though. Maybe soon I'll have a better answer.

you need separate vessels....jk!! you can use the same buckets...I have been doing it that way and making great wine & beer.

Wine will often be aged for longer than beer, so you may want to have some separate containers just so that you aren't clogging up your pipeline. Longer-term aging may argue for using a container that is less O2-permeable that Ale Pail buckets; many will use Better Bottles or glass carboys for wines they plan to age for a while.

You can definitely mix & match. If the bucket has any scratches, you may notice some staining in them after fermenting a red, but some PBW and StarSan will take care of it.

Also, you'll need at least 2 6gal containers as you'll need to rack the wine from one to the other a few times. Using a carboy for at least the last stage is preferred as it helps you monitor how the wine is clearing. Even better is using carboys for all but the primary fermentation.

I was just worrying about flavors transfering but as long as I clean them out good I guess I would be fine. Yes I would plan on using a better bottle for the aging.

How many times do you have to rack wine before you bottle it? I guess I am asking what is a common rule for wine making for timing? For beer I do 3 weeks primary 2 weeks secondary and 1 week in either the bottle or keg. What is normal for wine?

How many times do you have to rack wine before you bottle it? I guess I am asking what is a common rule for wine making for timing? For beer I do 3 weeks primary 2 weeks secondary and 1 week in either the bottle or keg. What is normal for wine?

There really isn't any normal schedule, as it really depends. It depends on the OG of the wine, the FG, the yeast, etc, much as with beer.

Another thing with wine is that some fruits will throw lees for months. I seem to get a dusting of sediment on my dandelion wine for over a year. You'll rack every time you have lees 1/4" thick after about 45 days. Sometimes that is once or twice before bottling in 6 months; sometimes it's 5-6 times over a year or more.

A typical wine primary is about 5 days, then when the SG gets to the 1.020-1.010 range, it's racked into secondary and allowed to finish. Then, it's racked and topped up whenever needed. Most of my wines are bottled at about a year old.

I usually rack the wine 2x during the process. Helps make a really clear wine. Go ahead and use the bucket for both. If you are worried my LHBS sells a soap that will take even the red wine stains out of the bucket. It's made by Vineco. Erases all the wine and beer smells and stains with no effort.

Latest posts

Back