2 quick questions on lagering and yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I've got an alt in primary right now. This will be the first beer I lager.

Should I rack the beer into a secondary before I lager it?

When I'm ready to bottle should I add more yeast? I'm planning on lagering for ~4 weeks.

:mug:

1. Maybe

2. No. At 4 weeks lagering there should still be plenty of yeast in suspension for carbonation.

I said maybe on 1. because it depends on if you've done a sufficient primary. Assuming you have, then yes.

FWIW, I like about 3 weeks in the primary, the 4th week being cooled down to lagering temps couple degrees a day. Once its at my lagering temp then I will rack.

I've asked the same question to wyeast regarding adding more yeast at bottling after lagering. The guy told me that adding yeast isn't necessary, but that I should siphon close to the yeast cake to assure that I pick up some of the yeast when racking to the bottling bucket. I've also got an alt in primary right fermenting with wyeast 1007 german ale. I'm not sure if siphoning yeast is absolutely necessary especially with the 1007 strand since it's one of the least flocculating yeast out there. It's got a reputation for staying in suspension a long time. I'm gonna make the call after I'm done lagering. If the beer is crystal clear, then I will probably siphon a bit of yeast. If it's still cloudy, I'm not gonna worry and just siphon carefully to leave as much sediment behind as possible.

Back