brewing ales with hops loose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roopert

Reaction score
I have been brewing ales for a few months now. Two stouts, one brown ale and a German heff. In my stouts and brown I was instructed by my local homebrew shop to leave hops inside primary, loose...I then do a secondary and it leaves all hops behind....I have heard that many ppl do not secondary a heff...so with loose hops in there, do I just do my best to get the beer out without siphoning hops? Seems trickier than it should be....any tips? Have I been brewing incorrectly by throwing in hops loosely into my wort while boiling?

Most hop matter will settle out with the yeast after fermentation, forming trub. If you want to reduce this, you can use a strainer when transferring from your boil kettle. The hops have already done their job and don't really add anything more to the beer in the primary. Otherwise, just rack your hefe gently and most of it should stay at the bottom of the fermenter.

I brewed my Hefe and let all the hops into the Primary. Turned out really good. Just be careful not to disturb the trub when racking into the bottles/keg.

Back