Who had brewed a beer and not written down the recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always start with a written recipe, but never follow it exactly. The grain bill is predetermined, but he mash temps and times, as well as the exact boil time and hop additions always vary. Yeast handling is not consistent either, but usually within proper parameters.

Fermentation temp control is pretty tight, but not the time. For me, batch to batch consistency is not so important. I just want to make tasty beer.

I always write my recipes down, but I've had to start my list of recipes over twice due to losing the previous ones in computer disasters. I'll start religiously backing up my computer one of these days.

I brewed a very tasty (if I do say so myself) American Stout. I had the recipe since I drew it up in Beersmith, but there were SO MANY variables that changed during and after brewing that there is no way the recipe can get me close on it's own. I've tried to brew it twice since then and never got the same beer.

This reminds me that I have to write down some notes on Sunday's brew session in case I have made a spectacular beer...

I stopped writing them down 2 years ago or so.

Most every one is so bleeping good, so why not just meditate and blindfold myself and let the force guide me......

Haven't seen an ingredient in 14 months.;)

But seriously.....kinda like Homer says, it is all kind of a crapshoot, so why agonize over the small stuff?

All of my best beers were accidents. Thankfully I have been able to keep up with the variables that "screwed them up" so I can replicate those beers. The best part is that those "screw ups" actually make the brewing shorter/easier. And for those of you who freak out if you don't get a quick cold break, I have had way more success with no chill than with an icebath/IC. Not saying it's better than what you do, but it's been better for me. Brewing doesn't have to be complicated as long as you keep your cold side equipment clean and sanitized.

Back