Bourbon Barrel Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJefe

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for checking out this thread.

I picked up a Bourbon Barrel Porter Kit from Northern Brewer which includes some oak cubes which will be soaked in bourbon and then added to the secondary.

I am thinking of charring the oak cubes prior to the soaking (think Jack Daniel's charred oak barrels) and I thought I would come here for some thoughts on that.

Are there any immediate negatives you can think of (other than possible increased rate of consumption)?

Thanks.

What toast cubes did you buy? I was under the impression that cubes were pretoasted when you bought them.

What toast cubes did you buy? I was under the impression that cubes were pretoasted when you bought them.

There is no mention of toasting... I haven't opened the packet to see if they are toasted, however, I suspect if they are toasted I wouldn't need to char them, and if they aren't, it sounds like charring is done to the oak cubes in other secondaries.

Back