Thoughts on DIPA recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtb178

Reaction score
What are folks thoughts on this? Initially had something like Dreadnaught in mind, but am unsure. Something very very hoppy, of course.

Yeast thoughts? I' mtrying to decide between a more clean yeast and an English yeast, which is supposed to be 3F's style?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Partial Mash -- 5.75 gal Batch size; 4.5 gallon partial boil.

8lb Extra Light DME (half late addition)
Mash 60 min @155:
4lb Two-Row Pale
.5lb Melanoidin
.5lb Carapils
.25lb Crystal 40L

Hop Schedule
2oz Columbus @60
1oz AMarillo @30
1oz Cascade @10
1oz Amarillo @10
1oz Cascade @flameout
1oz Amarillo @flameout
1 oz Amarillo, Cascade, Columbus Dryhop (10 days)

Looks pretty good!

I might throw out the carapils and add a little more crystal 40, but that's me liking a little more of a malty backbone to my DIPA's. I find I often come up short and thin on this style, which is irritating. The Hops lineup looks good, and should be sufficient for a 5 gallon batch. As for the yeast, I like to taste the malt undertones with the Hops explosion...the yeast flavor isn't much of a concern for me, so I tend to use cleaner yeasts, but again, it's all personal likes. I think what you have will make a great beer! Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Less bittering hops 60/30, more late hops 10/0/DH. Boost Crystal by .40 lb.

I would step mash this... lower temp, then mod, then high... some corn sugar could help in place of DME.

FULL VOLUME BOIL!! That's a must.

FULL VOLUME BOIL!! That's a must.

Is the difference that big? Is it necessary for hop-forward styles, or for all styles? I just don't think I can get 6.5+ gallons to boil on the stovetop. Should I just make a smaller (3.5-4 gal.) batch?

Thanks.

I like to do it for all styles, but it's definitely more noticeable in hop forward styles. I suggest buying a larger kettle, or brewing a smaller full volume batch (if you want excellence vs. mediocrity).

Move all your hops except 60 min and dry to Flameout. No 30 and no 10 minute addition, just flameout. Quadruple your dry hops.

You want a DIPA right? MORE HOPS.

Also, I prefer the English yeast. Dry English from white labs is a good one for this style, in my opinion. Adds nice complexity.

Alright. Looks like I'm going to try a 3.5 gallon batch this time, and to minimize the middle hops. Looking forward to seeing how this goes. Thanks everyone.

Back