carbonating wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkymark58

Reaction score
So, I made an Orchard Breezin' Srawberry White Zin last month and bottled four gallons normally.To the last gallon, I added one oz. of corn sugar and bottled it in beer bottles. Its been four weeks and still no carbonation. Should I have added a little yeast? I was told that there would be enough yeast left over after stabilizing my wine. Any ideas?

So, I made an Orchard Breezin' Srawberry White Zin last month and bottled four gallons normally.To the last gallon, I added one oz. of corn sugar and bottled it in beer bottles. Its been four weeks and still no carbonation. Should I have added a little yeast? I was told that there would be enough yeast left over after stabilizing my wine. Any ideas?

you stabilized it, it won't carb.

I take it that I can't carbonate this batch any more. I've got a batch of blueberry going now. At what step do I separate off one gallon of wine to carbonate? Thank-you.

Just before adding stabilizers, separate off a gallon, stabilize the rest, and then add the priming sugar to the one-gallon.

If the finished wine has not been dosed with the k-meta and sorbate there is usually enough live yeast remaining to carb. Just remember if you want a sweet carbed wine you need to use a non-fermentable sugar to backsweeten otherwise a fermentable is just eaten up.

My laptop just crashed and I had a note that I found somewhere that said if the wine was dry and stabilized with k-meta you may be able to successfully carb by introducing yeast and a priming sugar (and a non fermentable if you wanted sweeter). I want to say it was 1/4 oz yeast per five gallons. Easiest way was to combine yeast with priming sugar dissolved in a bit of wine...then divide the total volume of your priming solution by number of bottles and dose each bottle, or even easier add to each gallon, stir, and bottle. Have not tried it, but there was feedback that it worked as long as sorbate had not been added. Again, cannot recall source.

The F-pack you add has sweeteners and stabilizer in it, to keep fermentation from restarting.

The only way to carbonate would be to leave out the F-pack. But that is where the fruit flavor and sweetness comes from, so it'd be a different wine entirely if you left out that F-pack.

You could do it in a keg, of course, if you have kegging gear.

If the finished wine has not been dosed with the k-meta and sorbate there is usually enough live yeast remaining to carb. Just remember if you want a sweet carbed wine you need to use a non-fermentable sugar to backsweeten otherwise a fermentable is just eaten up.

My laptop just crashed and I had a note that I found somewhere that said if the wine was dry and stabilized with k-meta you may be able to successfully carb by introducing yeast and a priming sugar (and a non fermentable if you wanted sweeter). I want to say it was 1/4 oz yeast per five gallons. Easiest way was to combine yeast with priming sugar dissolved in a bit of wine...then divide the total volume of your priming solution by number of bottles and dose each bottle, or even easier add to each gallon, stir, and bottle. Have not tried it, but there was feedback that it worked as long as sorbate had not been added. Again, cannot recall source.

Those kits use sorbate in the F-pack.

Back