Not sure about the beer i just kegged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golfman1450

Reaction score
I've been brewing now for just over a year and a half and have had success with every batch until now. I'm not sure if I have an infected beer or not. This batch is a pale ale that I have brewed before and really liked. I transferred from the primary to the keg last week and poured my first glass last night. It still needs some time under pressure before its really ready, but it has an off smell and flavor of what I consider apple like. Should I give it some time in the keg or dump it.
Background:
Differences in last batch to this one:
Used Y Yeast this time instead of White Labs and did not transfer to secondary.

jeffjm said:
Could be acetaldehyde, which may fade. Don't dump it.

I'm going to give it some time, but it really seems off compared to the last batch I made. I knew it wouldn't be exactly the same because of the yeast, but this is way different.

Golfman1450 said:
I'm going to give it some time, but it really seems off compared to the last batch I made. I knew it wouldn't be exactly the same because of the yeast, but this is way different.

Correction, I used Safale US 05 yeast.

Same issue. Suspect pitched us-05 too warm, resulting in a long, slow fermentation. Racked too early = green apple. Fading slowly

Lagger said:
Same issue. Suspect pitched us-05 too warm, resulting in a long, slow fermentation. Racked too early = green apple. Fading slowly

I had this in the primary for 2 months so I'm pretty sure I didn't rack to the keg to early. Is it possible I let it sit on the cake to long?
Everything said, I'm not giving up on it yet...I like beer way too much to dump at this point!

Back