Stuck fermentation Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fili123

Reaction score
Hi all, First extract brew, first problem. Im brewing a Belgian Triple from kit. OG was right on at 1.086. Sat in primary bubbling away for a week in my 60f basement (plastic bucket). Racked to secondary carboy after two weeks total- first mistake, did not take a gravity reading before racking to secondary. So, at two weeks later (4 weeks total now), no activity in the airlock since i racked it, gravity stuck for 4 days in a row at 1.030. Brought the carboy up from basement and placed in a warmer spot. Upstate NY is cold right now so the warmest room i have it in is maybe 65 throughout the day. Gently stirred up the yeast cake and waited a day or so. Still at 1.030. Reluctant to bottle at this high gravity. Any suggetions? Dont have another brew going to rack onto a yeast cake as was suggested in another thread. Add some high alcohol yeast?

Many thanks. Certainly want to salvage this brew.

I'm going to guess it's a Brewers Best kit? Most have been stuck at 1.020 (mine included) but not 1.030...

You could try pitching more yeast, but the majority of us with this kit throw are hands up in the air and bottle and age it.

Based on those gravities, you are only at 7.4 ABV. That being said, your yeast should be tolerant above that. As was said, extract can be tough. Sometimes it doesn't go where expected...

Yes its a BB kit. What yeast do you suggest i use to reinvigorate the fermentation? I can try to put an electric space heater in the room, but this could be a bit much. Just fearful if i bottle this im gonna need safety glasses every time o reach for a brew.

Start off by not gauging fermentation activity based on the airlock. Fermenting beer doesn't always show in the airlock especially after the first few days.

Next , don't stir your beer after it starts fermenting. the yeast doesn't need to be stirred around to do it's job and you can risk creating off-flavors due to oxidation if you aerate fermenting\fermented beer.

At this I suggest you taste the beer and take it from there. If it tastes too sweet then try pitching more yeast. I've had great results using 3711 to fix my stuck Belgian beers with much success. If it tastes drinkable then just bottle\keg it and send me some bottles if you need help with disposal.

Thanks gents! Yes it does taste sweet, but not that bad. I think Ill heat the room as dobberson suggests and pitch some 3711 as DH says. Hopefully i get down a few points and then send to all that helped :)

Hi lowog sorry for late reply. I never did pitch another batch of yeast. I just hoped for the best and bottled. That was two half weeks ago, and the beer tastes remarkably good! Carbonated well a bit of a bite and little too sweet for my liking, but that just be the nature of this kit. So I guess th moral of the story is maybe not to fear these kits being too ogg on fg. Best.

No worries fili123, I ended up pitching the 3711 and got down about 4 more points, for future reference.

Thanks!

Back