need help on freezer hinges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucfanmike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I finally brewed up my first two batches of beer and now starting on my freezer conversion. I picked up a small freezer off CL and it is an igloo brand. I am planning a 12" collar attached to the lid to allow a corny on the hump also. The problem is that on this freezer the hinges are cheap plastic and appear to only hold the lid by generally being tight fitting at the hinge itself (no springs involved) I have toyed with the idea of just getting some true freezer hinges but would be too worried about trying to drill new holes to attach them. I might have to do something i didnt want to and attach the collar to the freezer, moving the hinges up and again using them only for the lid. I dont like this idea though as it has me lifting cornys an extra foot and keeping the shanks an such in the way when i do.

Open for suggestions... can post some pics later, im at work right now.

Mike in Duluth

Do you have any friends that could weld you up a couple small plates? Something that you could mount by using the holes in the freezer with some studs sticking out to fit you new hinges? Otherwise you may end up mounting the collar to the fridge. I'd imagine picking up the kegs (my collar is mounted to the lid...) and lifting them over the collar would be a pain...but I wouldn't risk drilling new holes.

ususally theres no line where they mount the hinge. just turn it on and feel for the heat.

Back