I don't know my own wieght!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabrew

Reaction score
I never measured the gravity at the start of my fermentation. Will that be a problem???

Only if you need an exact ABV. What recipe did you use? Unless you made your own, most list a target OG. Just use that to get a ballpark idea of where it could be. If you made your own recipe, there are brewing calculators and programs that can give you an idea based on your ingredients.

It won't ruin the beer or anything. If you do want to determine ABV after the fact, you can do it with a formula that combines refractometer and hydrometer measurements of the finished beer.

Just make sure that you check that fermentation has finished, using your hydrometer, before you decide to bottle. You'll still have beer at the end of the day.

You spelled "weight" wrong...and the OG is used for many other things besides abv. Most use it to determine your efficiency and you can monitor your fermentation from start to finish.

Back